starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 Yr old, 210 lbs, 6'. No experience

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When you get back from deployment you may want to check with a SS coach for online coaching. They could advise you on how to post and of course, give you instructions on when and how to lift. It's worth a try. Coaches are listed on this forum or you could contact Dr. Jonathon Sullivan and get a recommendation if he is filled up.

Thanks to all for the tips! I incorporated the light squat day and I've been able to go up another 10 lbs because of it. Hopefully the progress will continue

Most recent stats:
    Squat 285
    Bench 202.5
    Press 137.5
    DL 350
    Clean 100

Each workout feels like I'm on the verge of failure, especially the squat. Wondering if I'm nearing the end of NLP, but I guess keep going until I fail repeatedly. Got my bodyfat from the BodPod (courtesy of the army) at 27.3%! Weighing in at 215 lbs (started 195)

My wife swears I look "fitter", but that number sounds like it should be closer to 20% bodyfat? The advice on the boards seems to be don't worry about it until you finish NLP. Would it hurt to tweak my diet just a tad? I'm still eating more than I want, trying to meet those protein goals...still looking for a good comprehensive guide to weight loss here.

starting strength coach development program
    Regarding the concerns of "verge of failure"...post video of each of your lifts. Video helps the forum understand what you are experiencing. Everybody who lifts experiences the sensation of "verge of failure" and "the grind" but that description lacks detail. For example are you doing a set of 5 and each rep feels strong but the last few inches are "verge of failure" or are you doing 3-4 reps strong and 5th rep is "on the verge of failure"....sounds the same, but it is not the same. VIDEO facilitates the discussion.

Regarding looking for a "comprehensive guide to weight loss here".....you will not find it on this forum. SS methodology is about strength training. It appears from your posts that you are overly concerned with bodyfat. Well, if you want low bodyfat, then dive head first into a book about keto or paleo. Start doing crossfit, your body will feel like shit as you do not properly recover, your strength gains will be miminal, but "you will look good" as the fat literally falls off your body.

Are you full time AD? What is your daily PT regimen with the troops like besides doing SS? Like all good soldiering skills, running/cardio is part of the daily PT grind. Im a retired 20 year veteran, this is something that will never go away regardless of what the experts think. It is part of the culture just like hamburgers and apple pie are part of American food culture.

Strength training is a geological process. Appears from your stats that "positive change" is occurring. What is the rush?

BLUF......show video from your last set of 3x5 for each exercise as per the video guidelines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12