starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Competitor, new to SS...

Default Old Competitor, new to SS...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I enjoy Rips podcasts and don't find my self disagreeing with much of his ideas/philosophies.
    Having competed in powerlifting and strongman previously but getting older (46 in 2 months), I have the ambition to train like I used to but my body has other plans.
    The form for the SS lifts are different than what I am used to so starting lighter than I need to so I can try to adapt to the new form will be a nice break from beating myself up all the time.
    I've read SS and PP. After much research and consideration of my own personal starting point, I decided to start the following program:

Week 1
    Monday, Squat, Press, Deadlift
    Wednesday, Squat, Bench, Back Extensions, Chin-up
    Friday, Squat, Press, Power Clean
    Week 2
    Monday, Squat, Bench, Back Extension, Chin-up
    Wednesday, Squat, Press, Deadlift
    Friday, Squat, Bench, Back Extension, Chin-up

My deadlift is fairly strong and will need the extra recovery. I think the squat will also need to switch to the volume/light/intense method I read about in PP but that won't be for a while yet so I think 3x a week with the lighter weight and new form is a good idea. I've never done cleans on a regular basis and I doubt I have the flexibility in the wrists to even rack the bar but I'm willing to give it a shot. Also ok with dropping it if need be as I do not compete anymore and have no reason to work on the explosive power aspect. I just like the thought though so I'm giving it a go.

About myself:
    Almost 46 years old.
    Currently 206, trying to get down to 200 through diet. Heaviest ever was 236, lightest was 172.
    5 foot 8 inches
    Best lifts: Squat 555, Bench 425, Deadlift 675
    Current lifts: Squat 430 about 2 months ago, Bench just missed 405 twice in the last few months but got 390 solid, paused. Deadlift can pull 500 whenever I want.

So, that's what I got. I enjoy tracking my training. I like being strong. I've had journals at BB, MD and RX years ago but they faded out and traffic was low. I do like a bit of interaction.
    I'm sure something I do will fall into the YNDTP category and that's fine. I love the principles outlined and will stick to 90% of the best I can. Looking forward to hitting the gym this afternoon and working on that new form.

Alright, day 1:
    Squats Rips way 3 sets of 5 across with 225. Definitely different that what I am used to.
    Press 3 sets of 5 across with 135. Also different as my grip was closer and I focused on squeezing my quads rather than using leg drive.
    Deadlifts 315 x 5 no straps. Weight is fine here, just going to try and creep up with no straps as long as I can. Once I fail at that I'll just add straps and continue.

Welcome to the board. You are certainly going to be a great resource. There are a lot of really great people here.

Thank you Tartan. I look forward to it. I miss "the boards".

Day 2
    Squats, 3 sets of 5 at 235
    Bench press, 3 sets of 5 at 225
    Hyper Extensions, body weight 3 sets of 15 reps
    Chin ups, body weight 3 sets of 5 reps

So, I'm tweaking a little (hold your eye rolls)...
    Still like the stuff I'm reading but I just can't go that far back.
    I'm going to try and follow the Texas method for powerlifting (pages 140-143 in the grey PP book).
    Using some of my previous numbers and style of training this seems much more realistic for me. Call me crazy but I also enjoy long training days on Saturday so the volume day works great here for me.

Using 405 for a Squat, 390 for Bench and 500 for Deadlift. Volume day will be starting with 70% which will hopefully let me "ease" into the program.

Today:
    squats, 285, 5 sets of 5 reps
    bench, 275, 5 sets of 5 reps
    good mornings, 135 x 3 sets of 5 reps (easy, but haven't done these in years)

Today felt great.
    Monday will be the recovery day.

Rip always cautions older guys on using the Texas method. Actually, he doesn't caution, he says don't do it. Texas method is for 22 year old guys still leaving at home who can focus solely on lifting, eating and resting. A long NLP isn't right for an advanced lifter like you, after a few weeks, but you should be careful with TM. Rip usually recommends the 4 day split for older intermediates.

I have seen that. I am going to pay very close attention to my recovery for sure. I've been focusing on my bench for so long I need some hard work on my squats with some extra volume. I also have a tendency to get "lazy" and just work up to heavy singles. I'm hoping this keeps me focused on those 5s for a while. I do sleep pretty well and certainly have more money for better food and supps than I did when I was in my 20s. LOL
    Lets see how it goes.

Today I walked 4.7 miles outside. Average HR was 89 bpm. Felt great.
    Only thing somewhat sore from yesterday is a bit of glutes/hammies from the good mornings. Glad I just did 135. Right call.
    Interested to see how "recovery" squats feel tomorrow. The plan is 2-3 sets of 5 with 230. I won't pull at all so I feel fresh for intensity day on Wednesday.

recovery day:
    squats 230 for 2 sets of 5 reps
    Press 140 3 sets of 5 reps
    no pulls

*left lower ab area is tweaky. no idea what that's all about. didn't feel it saturday. proceeded very cautiously with squats and felt it on a few reps here and there but not consistently. obviously I'll pay close attention tomorrow and be very cautious on intensity day Wednesday.
    and this is why I was hesitant to start a "program". I'm just old(er) and things happen but with a routine/program, I don't want to stray.

starting strength coach development program
    nope.
    just can't do it.
    I've got every excuse in the book so I'll spare you.
    After going over some of this with my wife the other day, here's the bottom line:
    I've trained for about 30 years, competed for many of those in PL and SM. Spent 20 years as a personal training as my sole income. No program, no common sense, no guru knows my body and what I'm feeling better than I do. My tweaks, my twinges, my life outside weights etc.
    I'm just finding it hard to "age" as my mind and motivation wants to be 30 again but my body has other plans.
    Having just hit 430 on a squat, been just under 405 on the bench and can pull 500 just about whenever I want I guess I can't complain too much.

So, I'd like to remain here for the community and to have an online training log again. If anyone sees this and can ask a mod/admin to move this over to the general training section, I'd appreciate it. I need to listen to my body however and train way more instinctively.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast