starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Off the Reaper - Growing Old, Not Gracefully...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2024-01-24 Wt 206

Squat 245
    Press 97
    Dead 310 (4,1)

As I did my squat warmup, the 3-rep at 165 felt heavy so I was concerned but continued plowing forward and got to and through the work sets with little fanfare, I think I might have been off-center with 165 and it just felt wonky.
    Press is hell is press. I almost dropped rep 5 on set one but then did six or seven minutes rest between the sets and the other sets were as fine as OHP sets ever are.

Then came the deadlift which has exploded upward at a rate that continues to surprise and concern me. Using straps on the top set only ensures I can manage the reps without dropping the damn thing which is good. What isn't good is being lashed to 1.5x of my body weight when it doesn't land just like I want it to during an intense set. Rip's pirate captain admonition to "not move the barrrrr" is all great until the first rep is underway, then all bets are off. Rep fatigue sets in and if the barrrr gets a mind of its own after rep 3 or 4, at some point, I just can't reel it back to starting position without resetting. Resetting without straps is easy and quick. Not so, at least for me, with straps on.

All that to say I believe I could have done all of them without the one minute reset break between 4 and 5. I also think that I'm nearing the end of adding weight to my dead and squat every session. I probably need to eat more, it's just hard for me to eat basically all the time when work and life intervene.

Looks like progress is going well, glad to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by inchXinch View Post
    Looks like progress is going well, glad to read it!
    Thanks, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    2024-01-24 Wt 206
    Using straps on the top set only ensures I can manage the reps without dropping the damn thing which is good.
    Sup big W, what kind of straps do you use? Closed loop? Open loop? Leather/fabric? I use leather ones, they're really slick.

Closed loop fabric. I like them just fine and they certainly help with lifting more than my grip will allow. If I had to do it over, I'd just buy a cheap nylon tie down strap and cut it up but I'm a cheap bastard.

24-01-27 Wt 206

Squat 205
    Bench 142
    Dead 250

Light day today by design. Moving to a more intermediate programming regime where I'll add five pounds per week to dead and squat and five per two weeks for the presses. My accumulated stress and inability to adequately recover while hitting it three day per week is driving my decision to do a modified HLM program for a while and see how that goes. I'm having trouble eating enough protein and calories to keep going on NLP and I don't want to hurt myself. I'm not a kid anymore.

I need to remember why I'm doing this and not let my enthusiasm for gainzzz push me to injury.

24-01-31 Wt 206

Sq (L) 195
    Dead (H) 315

Pushed bench to 2/1. Going to do that in a few minutes.

Doing a HLM going forward with heavy dead and light squat on Wednesday, heavy squat with lat pulls on Friday, light dead medium squat on Sunday with bench and OHP alternating. On heavy days, I'll add 5 pounds.
    Last edited by w35773; 02-01-2024 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    Closed loop fabric. I like them just fine and they certainly help with lifting more than my grip will allow.
    agree. i'm totally onboard with those figure-8 straps!

2-2-24 Wt 207

Sq 250
    Press 100
    Lat Pull 120

All PRs. Session went well.

2-4-24
    SQ (M) 225
    Bench 145
    Dead (L) 255

Bench PR. Tough on reps 14 and 15 but all good.

starting strength coach development program
    nice!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast