Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check Squat Technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    steak wrapped in bacon or hell,
    Delicious and evil.

In that case please send me a hot chick wrapped in bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by pauld View Post
    In that case please send me a hot chick wrapped in bacon.
    If I did that, I'd have one less hot chick wrapped in bacon, and no discernible benefit. Not even a shrubbery.

The compromise might be to loan a bacon-wrapped hottie for a shrubbery delivery, or perhaps a planting since it's nice when they bend over. But there should never be any giving. IMHO.

Went back to the book, took some weight off the bar and worked on form. Adductors are sore, that has got to be a good sign that my form is tightening up. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
    Went back to the book, took some weight off the bar and worked on form. Adductors are sore, that has got to be a good sign that my form is tightening up. Thoughts?
    Yes, it likely is. Aside from shoving your knees out causing adductors to be used, doing so also helps you achieve a better depth and stretch reflex.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 12-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.

I think I fixed my knees forward issue. I can really feel the squats the next day in my adductors and glutes, where before I was not, but now I have a different issue my hip drive out of the bottom. My hips seem to rise faster than my shoulders. I know that's bad from page 18 in SS but unsure what is the common cause of that. Thoughts?

Thanks

As I understand hip-drive, when you're "in the hole" just think about driving your hips up out of the hole, not forward. Dont even think about your shoulders, focus on your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    As I understand hip-drive, when you're "in the hole" just think about driving your hips up out of the hole, not forward. Dont even think about your shoulders, focus on your hips.
    Hip drive alone works till things get really heavy. Back angle will tend to deteriorate the closer you get to 1RM unless you also drive the bar into the traps. This is why powerlifters use this cue.

I'm using very light loads for lots of volume for the next few days. I'm amazed at how much I DON'T have to think about trap drive. My back angle is easy to maintain with light weight and I can focus on driving with the hips as long as I stay tight in my midsection. This becomes less true as the weight gets heavier.

Edit: NOTWITHSTANDING variances in placement of tendon attachments and resulting leverage advantages, neural drive, practice with and propensity for a given movement pattern and other vagaries that impact how much weight can be moved. These things matter more and more the closer together competitors are in height, strength and relative amounts of lean tissue.
    Last edited by Gary Gibson; 12-29-2009 at 01:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Hip drive alone works till things get really heavy. Back angle will tend to deteriorate the closer you get to 1RM unless you also drive the bar into the traps. This is why powerlifters use this cue.

I'm using very light loads for lots of volume for the next few days. I'm amazed at how much I DON'T have to think about trap drive. My back angle is easy to maintain with light weight and I can focus on driving with the hips as long as I stay tight in my midsection. This becomes less true as the weight gets heavier.
    I will try and use the drive the bar into the traps cue as well as the hip drive. Thanks for the good info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast