Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squat and deadlift check

Default squat and deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's the squat 305x5, Texas Method, first set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRupYjGjtEs

I was surprised to see myself miss depth at least three times (correct me if I'm wrong). It may be hard to tell because of my pants being bunched up and my legs being pretty big.

Otherwise the hip drive seems fine. You guys let me know

Deadlift 350x5 (PR): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Z0bsTtMQQ

Some slight back rounding, I'm not sure if it's an issue or of the weight was just really heavy.

Thanks!

i think you missed depth on every rep. some were just worse than others. i obviously can't tell for sure, but it looks like you have a very wide stance. i imagine narrowing it significantly would help you quite a bit.

on the deadlift just make sure you completely lock out your knees and squeeze glutes through to finish the lift. otherwise, maybe a little more "chest up" and they look good.

Depth looks fine.

Some back rounding and general tightness issues.

Stance does seem a tad wide. Wonder if bringing it in a bit would help.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by milesdyson View Post
    i think you missed depth on every rep. some were just worse than others. i obviously can't tell for sure, but it looks like you have a very wide stance. i imagine narrowing it significantly would help you quite a bit.

on the deadlift just make sure you completely lock out your knees and squeeze glutes through to finish the lift. otherwise, maybe a little more "chest up" and they look good.
    I never would have noticed that

The squats were high.

Squat depth looked fine to me. How exactly were they high?

It's hard to tell for certain because the weigths block the top of your patella but depth looked fine to me too. The transition out of the hole is quick and I agree it looks like you have good hip drive which are usually good signals that you hit your depth and bounced off of your fully stretched hamstrings.

I'm going to start wearing compression shorts and taking videos at a different angle

i used the rack pin in the background to judge depth. look at stronger's left leg vs. the right side of the rack. his knee sits in the gap between the pin and the other support. his hip crease doesn't appear to get there on any rep.

it is actually surprising that people are saying these are deep enough.

stronger, next time you film, copy the angle in rip's 315x10 video. camera at ~parallel height pointing in the same direction as one of your feet (from behind).

starting strength coach development program
    I think you're confusing the top of his meaty thigh with the top of his thigh at the crease or his hip. Men with big thighs will mislead you if you're not careful. The top of his thigh at the crease breaks the level of the top of his patella.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast