starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
    Thanks guys. I started sitting back to such an extreme degree because I was getting attacked by the form police. I guess I just need to work on keeping my back tight.
    Who's the "form police."

-S.

I successfully completed 5x5 110 lbs on Press, 5x5 145 lbs on Bench, and 1x5 225 lbs Deadlift.
    Wait are you doing 5x5 or 3x5?

5x5, and practically everyone I've asked for form advice with the exception of this forum.

I'm using Stronglifts 5x5. The volume isn't the issue with failing though, as last time I failed, it was actually on the third set.

5x5, and practically everyone I've asked for form advice with the exception of this forum.
    I'll just be real damn honest with you, and say that the majority out there don't know what the fuck they're doing, and I can say with 110% utter confidence that you're average gym "personal trainer" doesn't know jack shit except what they're two-bit national certification taught them about the matter, which is to say "barely anything of worth," IMO, having myself worked as trainer at a major chain in my area and having had the great (mis)fortune to work with a lot of "experienced" trainers who ought to have known better but didn't.

Stronglifts 5x5. The volume isn't the issue with failing though, as last time I failed, it was actually on the third set.
    PLEASE. GET. OFF. THIS. PROGRAM. And gain a little more weight.

-Stacey

Stronglifts has you using the same weight across all 5 sets. Even Starr's original novice 5X5 programming had you use ramping sets to a top set, if I'm not mistaken, and this was done for a reason. I ABSOLUTELY think that this could be one of the problems affecting your progress, which has been compounded by the fact that you're not eating enough to produce meaningful weight gain and recovery.

You don't have to listen to me, but you've come here because what you're doing has not been working, so I'd listen to us if I were you.
    -S.

I'm completely open to listening. If I've done anything to suggest that I wasn't listening, it wasn't intentional.

The people I had check my form weren't trainers (who I know are idiots), they're just various other lifters who are more experienced than me.

I used Stronglifts rather than Starting Strength because I don't know how to properly Power Clean. They're both abbreviated beginner programs, so it's surprising that you're so opposed to Stronglifts.

I'm completely open to listening. If I've done anything to suggest that I wasn't listening, it wasn't intentional.

The people I had check my form weren't trainers (who I know are idiots), they're just various other lifters who are more experienced than me.

I used Stronglifts rather than Starting Strength because I don't know how to properly Power Clean. They're both abbreviated beginner programs, so it's surprising that you're so opposed to Stronglifts.
    Didn't mean to imply that you aren't willing to listen.

I'm not a fan of Stronglifts, even though--as you say--it's an abbreviated beginner's program. The sets across is not appropriate from a recovery standpoint IMO (and I'm sure someone else might disagree), even more so because you're not eating enough to gain a little more weight. I think what you're seeing is two factors interacting, here, rather than any single thing that we've discussed. Revert to your original squat forum, eat more and get on Starting Strength as soon as possible. Practical Programming is a must-have and will help you understand why five straight sets across might not be such a good idea for you. Don't pirate those either. Just saying.

-Stacey

I think why stronglifts 5x5 works well is some people
    a) can actually tolerate the extra volume and can grow well off it. whether they could do better, or grow stronger faster on SS is a different matter
    b) sometimes is a mental thing. The whole mindset of BBing with high volume, high rep training means that some people will tend to think higher volume stuff is better and stick to it. They may see gains because as Ripp said, a complete novice or a genetically gifted person can basically gain on any program as long as they're not sitting around on the couch all day long.

Just my thoughts

Worked out today. Still trying 5x5, I may lower my volume though. I went back to my original form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL06flOWYEs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI93RNPYEAw

First video is set 4. Second is 5. 175 lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    I did strongifts 5x5 with upmost focus & dedication for the whole of 2009.

I had a knee injury in march, but was soon training hard again as I found it didnt affect squatting.

So lets just say I had over 8 months of uninterrupted focused training.

However I stalled very quickly and porfusely on the squat. I had a light deload at 50kg, then at 68kg back to 60kg, then had some decent progress for a while. But stalled at 80kg, dropped to 70kg but then stalled again coming to 77.5kg, went down to 60kg, worked back up to 80kg and stalled again.

I was extremely fed up & dissapointed and finally began to lose patience with the programming for the squat.

Eventually in a bid to force myself to a 1.5xbw goal by the end of 2009 I began dropping reps and doing careless heavy maxes. By the time the gym close for christmas I ended at 90kg 3x3 when I wanted to be at 105kg+

Throughout my year of training I found it impossible to keep to stated session durations past the very first few. To finish squats alone was taking over an hour.

I put a lot of effort into the programme as it seemed so balanced, was fairly enjoyable to do and it had worked really well for a select few. But my results have been extremely poor considering time & effort.

I only read starting strength very recently and rather regret sticking to stronglifts for so long. My slow progress (no progress in the press) makes so much sense now.

I definetely think that 5x5 with the same weight across isnt sustainable for long enough for many people.

I am looking into new programming for myself for 2010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast