starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The funny thing is my presses are disproportionately high compared to my squats. I've successfully pressed 110 lbs 5x5, and benched 145 lbs 5x5. I don't want to be one of those guys who benches more than they squat.

By Press I meant overhead.

My Bench has actually been very steady (although slow) in progress.

My overhead press stopped increasing about a third of the way through 2009. My bench at that point was 40kg which has now increased to 60kg but the press has stayed the same and occasionally gone down.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 01-07-2010 at 06:00 AM.

That's what I'm talking about. My Press isn't increasing as fast as my Bench, but it's still going up pretty consistently.

starting strength coach development program
    Firstly, do you have Starting Strength? If so, you need to reread the chapter on the squat. If not, you need to get Starting Strength. I also recommend the DVD. These will help you a great deal.

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:
    • Old Squats: Poor posterior chain tightness, knees slide forward, torso often collapses forward at the bottom causing additional unbalance, bar path is is wobbling all over the place as a result.
    • New Squats: Practically start out as a good morning, knees are kept too far back in the beginning, only to slide forward at the end.
    • New Squats Deload: Once again, too much like a good morning, knees too far back, torso inclined too much, cannot get depth as a result.

What can you do?
    • Get Starting Strength. Both the book and the DVD. Spend some time understanding them.
    • Do the program outlined in Starting Strength to the letter. The shit you found for free on the Internet is not as effective. 5x5s are for intermediate trainees and they are only done once a week. Listen to nisora and stop fucking around with 5x5.
    • Eat. A lot. If you only gained 15 pounds in 6 months, you did it wrong. Drink the gallon of whole milk, not a quart of skim. You have the potential to gain 15 more pounds in 3 weeks if you get your squat dialed in and you start eating for growth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123