starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sideways Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Video editing is a pain in the ass, especially if your camera uses one of the hi-def codecs. If MovieMaker will not edit the files and some searching on Google doesn't yield solutions, consider one of the cheap versions of Sony Vegas. Just make sure it can edit hi-def codecs (H.264 being one of the most problematic).

Enough, tech bullshit. On to your question:

I can't quite tell from your video in part because of its sideways orientation and in part because the plates obscure you at the bottom, but it looks like your knees don't come forward quite enough at the beginning. When you drive up from the bottom, the first thing that happens is that the knees shoot forward. It's not extreme, but if your hips are starting to hurt you, you now have a likely culprit. Let the knees come forward farther in the beginning and then keep them there for the last half of the descent and the drive up.

I cannot say anything about depth besides you are plenty deep. The plates obscure your hip and the top of your knee at the bottom.

On the whole, the squats look pretty damn strong. 380x8 is no joke. That is above my 1RM at present.

Looks to me like you're relaxing your hamstrings at the bottom, and so your knees are sliding forward. You're already plenty deep, so if you shave some depth off by stopping when you feel your hammies and adductors stretch (which will be higher than you are now), you will be making the most of those muscles, making you stronger.

Of course, you are much stronger than I am, but I'm just repeating what I've read in the squat chapter in SS. It's always good to re-read it.

And again, strong set mate.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're balancing on your heels. Try mid-foot instead. It might help with all of this. It did for me.
    Last edited by tescott; 01-11-2010 at 06:51 AM.

I bet if I did that I'd have had the 2 more reps I was shooting for too. I wish you could have seen how hard it was to rack that set.

starting strength coach development program
    Update video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRYMXUTu0Pw

I got my memory card so here is all of a 400x9 set. I tried to stay tighter and as a result I think I ended up being high throughout the set. It was terrible, but not as bad as 380x8 last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12