starting strength gym

Thread: squat puzzle and floppy back form check

Default squat puzzle and floppy back form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    so as i was warming up yesterday, i had the camera on while squatting the empty bar. to my horror my upper back is flopping down to keep the bar over mid foot. is the correct way to fix this to squeeze the shoulder blades together hard? the puzzle of squatting correctly has become the first hard thing to conquer never mind the weight is getting heavy for me. god damn knees are still difficult to control. but i think now that i have shoes with heels i will just fire my hips back more. hopefully that works.

thanks again for helping me get this cuz mark doesnt need to see my fat ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w-90S_Dc0

Doesn't look bad to me. I think it would get better if you make your knees travel forward faster at the beginning of the descent, and then shoot your hips back.

Drecar, just a quick observation:

When I'm watching a squat video, I look for signs that the person is just "folding" down into the bottom position, sort of like one of those folding chairs that people lie around in at the pool. You know the one's I'm talking about, the jointed ones. In the video you posted, I get a sense of you just kinda folding down into the bottom position. Funny analogy, huh? But when I see someone squatting the way Rip prescribes, I don't get that sense at all, it's more like spreading the thighs apart and dropping the hips down into that space the thighs created by moving out to the sides. Try thinking this way, as you also try to enforce the knees out forward the way coldfire suggested.

It's worth a try.

-Stacey

I've noticed that you're looking up on your way up.

Default looking up on ascent

i found that when i feel back angle change that looking up corrects this. if theres a better way, im ready to apply it.

I keep rewatching the video and its bugging me that my upper back seems to flop forward. during the squat everything feels fine and im in balanced. but this lack of tightness has me concerned. how do i keep tighter?

also, im beginning to worry about my floor. seems like not being level is a bigger deal than i thought. until i fix it, is better to squat face up hill or down hill?

starting strength coach development program
    Face down hill, more like wearing a small heel that way. Personally I'd rather collapse forward than backwards if I fail, too. When I've failed before in the hole with no spot, I just drop forward - I think this is described in SS too - this would be easier facing down hill.