starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats & Deadlifts

Default Squats & Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    People need to learn how to take videos...

195lb squats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNewy50xF8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoDbHO30hE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7adwo2vJJ8

210lb deadlifts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My1lY0A90vE

Squat form felt a bit sloppy this time.

DL: Too easy. More weight

SQ: ... it is not your camera man's fault for not knowing what you want filmed. TELL HIM WHAT ANGLES AND WHERE TO FILM FROM!!!

They looked ok, depth was not good on some. Get better film and post again.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I was conservative on the deadlift starting weight. Still doing 15lb increases.

By the way, I did tell those people exactly where to film from and from what angles. They simply disregarded me. Which is why I switched people.

Needs more food.

Thanks? 40lbs does take some time to gain, though. I gained ~10lbs the first week, so I consider that decent progress.

Yeah, your camera people certainly sucked. It's tough to say a lot about your squats from them. I noticed that in the 2nd vid, your knees slid forward on two of the reps at the bottom. Nothing awful and it did not appear to happen every time. It also looks like your hands are really close to your shoulders, perhaps even inside of your elbows? Is that the case, or is that just the angle on the video?

For your deads, it looks like your shoulder may be slightly behind where it would ideally be. However, your bar path looks pretty good, so that might just be a camera angle thing. Whatever the case, your deads look good. You definitely can add a good deal of weight to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    For your deads, it looks like your shoulder may be slightly behind where it would ideally be.
    seconded.

IPB

Yeah, I thought about my hand position, and it is pretty narrow. Is it necessarily a bad thing?

About the shoulder position, what does that mean? Is the bar too close to me?

Quote Originally Posted by rooster201 View Post
    Yeah, I thought about my hand position, and it is pretty narrow. Is it necessarily a bad thing?
    Certainly not. It might just mean that you have very good shoulder flexibility. Generally, the closer you can get your hands to the shoulders, the tighter the musculature to support the bar and keep things locked in place. If your hands are in close and you are somehow able to loosen the system by moving your elbows out, that might be less than good. It's tough to tell from the video, but whatever the case, it's a rather minor point.

About the shoulder position, what does that mean? Is the bar too close to me?
    No, it might mean that you should consider moving your shoulder just in front of the bar. However, your bar path is pretty straight and you don't change your back angle when you start the pull, so this may be an angle of view issue in the video. Your setup looks pretty good and I'm not entirely convinced that your shoulder position really needs to be corrected. Maybe someone else will have some input here.

Thumbs up

starting strength coach development program
    I Think your squat looks ok, but your knees go forward a bit too far.
    Try putting a block of wood or something in front of your toes, and then squat without knocking it over.

Deadlift looks all most perfect. I donīt know is it the camera angle, and the plate is preventing seeing where the bar is at the starting position. If you take the a bit more closer to the shins, your shoulder can go in front of the bar, and then you might get more lifting effiency.
    Keep it going!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast