starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New squat check.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Blowing my knees out was an exaggeration.

Getting a knee injury, however, is entirely possible.

Is there some sort of assistance work I can do for my hip flexors?

Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post

Do you have a prior knee injury you have not told us about??

If not then you are not going to fucking hurt your knees unless you do something retarded. The minimal amount of knee wiggle in these videos is not of any significance. All your worrying is doing is dampening your fucking progress to becoming a man.

This guy has some serious knee movement and is still squatting almost double the weight without to much trouble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpGTTR37mM

This does not mean you should go whilly nilly and squat without care, keep focusing on shoving those knees out every time you squat and use every warm up as time to drill the knees out. But you should still be adding weight every workout and you do not need to continuously ask our permission to add more weight. Watch your own videos and based on the feedback you have gotten decide whether it is acceptable to you or not.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.

oh yeah and the Chucks would be fine if you were doing a sumo stance powerlifting squat.. BUT YOUR NOT, so BUY SOME FUCKING SHOES!!!

1. I don't want to do less weight. I don't want to hurt my knees more. I'd rather do less weight than blow out my knees due to applying torque around an axis my knees weren't intended to rotate.

2. I want lifting shoes, but I can't throw money down at the moment. Plenty of people squat very well in Chuck Taylors, which are what I'm using.
    Guy, listen closely: Owning squat shoes will actually help your knees. That's right. If you have the proper shoes, it's easier to have proper form. That means it's easier to apply the 'knees out' cue and you're less likely to torque your knees. Know how I know? Because I struggled with the same problem.

The shoes are $58. I bet you can afford them. Save the money somewhere else.

I'm re-posting this (from the other thread of yours) for your benefit:

Hey Pantsaregood, you know what else is good? Shoes. Buy some shoes. Email this guy for VS Athletics. Order the same size as your athletic sneakers. They're $48 plus $10 shipping.

rbenoy1323@yahoo.com

Just keep focused on driving your knees out aggressively at the bottom. Squatting more will help with this. What your knees do is under your control. You need to tell them to do it. As others have mentioned, nothing your knees are doing is dangerous. Squat, eat, and be happy. You don't need assistance exercises for your hip flexors either. Keep working on the squat instead.

You will not get a "knee injury" if you squat with any semblance of good form (unless you have some preexisting knee injury you're not telling us about). Sometimes, when you screw up your form a bit with heavier weights (which is bound to happen with maximal weights) you might experience some very minor knee pains or clicking - i.e. they don't interfere with your ability to do things. These go away quickly once your form is corrected. If you keep refusing to add weight every time you have some slight form imperfection you will never get strong, because it's impossible to have absolutely perfect form if you're using heavy weights. Stop being a pussy.

Reread SS. Your hip flexors are not what's causing your knees to cave in. The culprit is your weak adductors, and these can be strengthened by focusing on shoving your knees out while squatting.

Work the abductor/adductor machines every time you squat. Do a few lunges every couple of weeks.

Dude you are fucking killing me.

Your squats look FINE!!! Shit gets hard, DEAL WITH IT!!!!

How many "squat checks" have you posted in the last 3 months? How many times have you asked if you need to "deload" in that same time frame? Getting big and strong is fucking hard. Stop being a pussy and get over it.

Do your knees hurt? Do you have a history of knee problems? Are you failing reps?

Until you can respond with a yes to any one of these questions you do not need to post another squat video.

starting strength coach development program
    My knees feel like utter shit right now.
    I had some knee-buckling issues that I resolved with a focus on 'knees-out.' Now, my knee is still kind of sore, so I ice the hell out of it. I am also going to stay on about 2 grams of Ibprofen a day for a week straight. I bought some knee sleeves to keep my knees warm. I am going to continue squatting. I'll let you know what happens.

The thing is, dude, you are not the only person to deal with this issue. In fact, that is one of the most important lessons you'll learn in life, and something that, if you do learn it, will help to significantly reduce your anxiety. Suddenly, your problems won't seem to be such a big deal. Solutions will be clearer, and easier to implement.

This is, in part, why they make you read those books called 'classics,' by the way.

So please, ice your goddamn knees, take your Ibprofen, concentrate on keeping those knees out, order your goddamned shoes, and continue squatting heavy. You'll be fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12