starting strength gym

Thread: Press question.

Default Press question.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it "cheating" to tightly contract your abs/glutes just as you begin to push the bar up? Knees stay completely locked throughout the entire lift. I just didn't know if this made it into some sort of a push press or not.

To clarify, I don't mean maintaining tension throughout the entirety of the push. That part is obvious. I mean releasing tension at the bottom, then just as I push, contracting the glutes and abs.

nope. That's what you're supposed to do

So it's not a problem that doing so adds momentum to the bar? I'm pressing 3x5x135 lbs now, and I've made it to this point by isometrically contracting my glutes and abs throughout the entirety of my sets. I've only used them to stabilize me, not to assist in the push.

Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
    So it's not a problem that doing so adds momentum to the bar? I'm pressing 3x5x135 lbs now, and I've made it to this point by isometrically contracting my glutes and abs throughout the entirety of my sets. I've only used them to stabilize me, not to assist in the push.
    I haven't experienced any benefit from contracting halfway through the rep as opposed to the entire rep, but if it works for you I don't see a problem with. Keeping everything tight is key, and its something very easy to forget.

I'm not talking about contracting halfway through the rep.

What I mean is this: Tightly contract (and hold) your glutes/abs at the point the bar touches your chest and you begin to push upward. It helps get the bar off the chest, but I'm not sure if it's considered a push press or not.

The bar is racked across your shoulders. You're loose. You begin pushing and tightly contract the abs and glutes at the exact same time. Does this qualify as a push press or is it acceptable? I've always taken a breath, contracted my abs/glutes, and a second or so after doing so (and holding) began pushing.
    Last edited by pantsaregood; 04-10-2010 at 10:11 AM.

I really don't understand what you're saying. So many contradictions, it's making my head spin.

The bar is racked across your shoulders. You're loose. You begin pushing and tightly contract the abs and glutes at the exact same time. Does this qualify as a push press or is it acceptable? I've always taken a breath, contracted my abs/glutes, and a second or so after doing so (and holding) began pushing.
    no, you're fine. A push press involves knee bend.

starting strength coach development program
    Check yourself in video to make sure you are not bending at the knees. Often times what feels like just a abbs and glute contraction often has a knee bend that you are simply not conscious of.