starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Got rid of the belt.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sorry Greg, I've got a life to attend to so I can't spend as much time posting as you. I also much prefer an old notebook to a internet blag for my log.

Did I disparage POSE? No, I summarized it. Hell, I completely agree with everything you said; you are getting defensive with the wrong person. The lessons I learned from the POSE running technique are the reason I don't have stress fractures in my shins anymore. It made me enjoy running again. People have a habit of making it very complicated when it really shouldn't be and I would hate for someone to have to read the POSE book; it is terribly written. I hear his newer books are better reads, though.

Regarding CoG: I guess I think of it differently than you, CThomas. To land with my foot under my center of gravity I either need to be running in place or have a bit of forward lean and have my foot land just under my knee to not fall on my beautiful, rugged face. Thinking of it primarily in terms of knee position makes sense, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Loto View Post
    Regarding CoG: I guess I think of it differently than you, CThomas. To land with my foot under my center of gravity I either need to be running in place or have a bit of forward lean and have my foot land just under my knee to not fall on my beautiful, rugged face. Thinking of it primarily in terms of knee position makes sense, too.
    Firstly, the use of CoG here is probbaly not correct since with the legs swinging around, CoG is hard to track. I think most people who say this really mean torso.

Take a look at this slo-mo video of what looks like a middle distance runner:

http://vimeo.com/2974394

Foot strike is on the forefoot and he is not overstriding. At the moment of foot contact the foot is directly under his knee, and noticeably in front of his torso.

This is more pronounced with sprinters, and less so with distance runners. The reason the Pose recommendation of foot striking under torso appears to work is that most Pose runners are running fairly slowly so the torso to foot distance is not obvious.

Evolution has carried out gait optimisation for us. I have an instinctive distrust of recommendations for something as natural as running supposedly based on biomechanics that cannot be observed in elite athletes.

Lastly, my comment about falling on your face is probably wrong. I think if your foot did contact right under your torso you would limit how fast you could run as you would lose contact time on the ground, and would be contacting with the leg already fairly extended. But your nose would likely be safe.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry Greg, I've got a life to attend to so I can't spend as much time posting as you. I also much prefer an old notebook to a internet blag for my log.
    Being in grad school for the 2nd time as my job has it's advantages - and my kids are grown and out of the house, so I suppose I might have more free time. My comment stands however. I quite agree the old fashioned method for logging as a preference, but it is a way for others to learn from your mistakes.

Did I disparage POSE? No, I summarized it. Hell, I completely agree with everything you said; you are getting defensive with the wrong person. The lessons I learned from the POSE running technique are the reason I don't have stress fractures in my shins anymore. It made me enjoy running again. People have a habit of making it very complicated when it really shouldn't be and I would hate for someone to have to read the POSE book; it is terribly written. I hear his newer books are better reads, though.

Not really defensive. Tone is tough online, so I generally am cautious about it (note, I used the exact tone I intended to in my response to you previously). I'm glad you found Pose as useful as I did, and I agree his writing style leaves something to be desired.

Summarizing the method in two sentences, however, isn't really going to help anyone. If you think about it, changing probably years of bad habits takes takes a bit of practice and training to break. Thinking about how to land probably isn't going to cut it. Now, directing people to the forum, so they can see examples of the drills (for free btw) and get some coaching (for free also) from people (crazy people imo) who have spent the time & $$ to get certified would be helping.... but would probably take more time and effort than you were willing to spend. Being so busy and all with you life.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567