starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift, power clean for check

Default deadlift, power clean for check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Was looking for a little critique on my form. Any help is much appreciated, thanks! Deadlift is 405 power clean is at 225.

http://vimeo.com/10874116

http://vimeo.com/10874519

Hey, there's this awesome book I found. It's called Starting Strength.

haha! i own it and have read it

There is some rounding on the deadlift, but it looks like a 1 rep max so its probably not a big deal. You'd probably be better off posting a set of 5 so we can see if there is too much rounding there as well.

For the power cleans, 2 things stick out to me.

First, instead of rolling the bar back to yourself, approach it the same way you do with the deadlift. Meaning leave the bar on the ground, put your feet under it until the bar is mid-foot, and proceed from there.

Second, your hips are set too low. They rise a solid amount before the bar starts to move. You didn't have this problem on the deadlift so I would try to mimic your deadlift setup for the cleans.

Both were strong lifts though. Good work.

Be honest, did you try jerking the 225?

On the Powerclean:

It looks like you're bumping the bar too hard with your hips and making yourself jump foreword to chase it. It's my understanding that the bar path is supposed to be mostly vertical.

I think the "bump" is supposed to be a by-product of getting full extension in the jump; it looks like you're intentionally bumping and not allowing yourself to reach full extension in the jump.

Looked like a strong, snappy lift despite the above issues.

Haha! i dont really know how to jerk, lol but i did try to push press it, didnt work to well ...Thanks for the advice, i always thought your hips were supposed to be set lower for the clean but i'll make the adjustment and see how it works, thanks again.

Rip teaches the clean differently from just about everybody (I think), in that his starting position and initial pull to the knees is pretty much the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Rip teaches the clean differently from just about everybody (I think), in that his starting position and initial pull to the knees is pretty much the deadlift.
    I wouldn't say "everybody". Tommy Kono clearly teaches a similar if not the same way, as does (if I remember correctly, been a while since I got certified) the official USAW Club Coach Certification manual (I specifically remember shoulders higher than hips, hips higher than knees), although the over-the-foot placement of the bar may differ slightly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    I wouldn't say "everybody". Tommy Kono clearly teaches a similar if not the same way, as does (if I remember correctly, been a while since I got certified) the official USAW Club Coach Certification manual (I specifically remember shoulders higher than hips, hips higher than knees), although the over-the-foot placement of the bar may differ slightly.
    Yeah, tbh I don't read enough about Oly lifts to that much about them. I just remember Rip getting a lot of shit from people for his style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast