starting strength gym

Thread: grip for press and bench press

Default grip for press and bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In rip's book and the starting strength videos, he talks about having the bar on the heel of your hand for the press and bench press. I find that in order to line up the bar across the heel requires that I turn my elbows out slightly. When I perform the lifts, I experience pain in my elbows that I don't have when I use my normal, more neutral grip. Suggestions?

Move your grip out slightly till your elbows aren't sticking out?

The bar on the heel of the hand should be a neutral grip. If it is not you are probably doing it wrong. Don't over think this, just go with your normal neutral grip as that is probably what you are supposed to be doing in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    I find that in order to line up the bar across the heel requires that I turn my elbows out slightly. When I perform the lifts, I experience pain in my elbows that I don't have when I use my normal, more neutral grip. Suggestions?
    I think you're taking the phrase "have the bar on the heel of your hand" too literally. The book has pictures of what your grip on the bar should look like, maybe you should check out those?