starting strength gym

Thread: Press and Elbows Forward

Default Press and Elbows Forward

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Light dawned on marble head today while pressing. Unfortunately, it was just a little too late to let me get the fifth rep. I have tried to follow the guidance to keep the elbows forward of the bar, but I never understood quite why (nor did I think about it much) until I watched the bar drop for my fifth rep way in front of my face, dooming any chance for the rep. It dawned on me that my elbows had dropped below the bar, not in front of the bar, and so the bar naturally fell forward, away from me. By keeping the elbows forward of the bar you naturally force the bar closer to your face, keeping a straighter up and down movement.

I wish I could say I got the last five reps after figuring that out, but I only got four of the last set, having wasted a lot of energy during the first two sets. If I can't get the bar past my forehead I can't get under it. But focusing on elbows forward did make the first four reps a lot easier than I expected them to be on the last set.

Offered FWIW, YMMV.

Don't you just love those Aha Moments? Especially when they come after they would have been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    Light dawned on marble head today while pressing. Unfortunately, it was just a little too late to let me get the fifth rep. I have tried to follow the guidance to keep the elbows forward of the bar, but I never understood quite why (nor did I think about it much) until I watched the bar drop for my fifth rep way in front of my face, dooming any chance for the rep. It dawned on me that my elbows had dropped below the bar, not in front of the bar, and so the bar naturally fell forward, away from me. By keeping the elbows forward of the bar you naturally force the bar closer to your face, keeping a straighter up and down movement.

I wish I could say I got the last five reps after figuring that out, but I only got four of the last set, having wasted a lot of energy during the first two sets. If I can't get the bar past my forehead I can't get under it. But focusing on elbows forward did make the first four reps a lot easier than I expected them to be on the last set.

Offered FWIW, YMMV.
    Behind the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Behind the bar?
    I wondered that and wished I had it on tape. Certainly not forward of the bar, though. All I know is that as the bar dropped I was aware it wasn't close to my face, and the moment I "bounced" at the bottom of the rep, I knew my arms were out of place because I was pushing the bar six inches away from my face. When I consciously corrected to keep the elbows foward on the last set, I had a strong controlled bounce that came off the very top of my sternum right past my face and straight up, real easy to get my head under and feel the lats come into play forcing it up into the lockout.

Thank you for this thread!

Over the last few months my Press form had drifted all out of whack. I was gripping to wide, bringing the bar to low, and not keeping my elbows forward. I've been having trouble making progress this way.

After I read this thread I re-watched the SS DVD on Pressing and today my presses felt great.

starting strength coach development program
    At least you were able to figure it out. Nothing quite like putting something you've read into practice and seeing immediate results, eh?

-Hat