starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CWNc2tc7k

I realize my squat form is completely terrible. But besides the fact that my back looks like its rounding, I can't see anything else that may be wrong..

You are divebombing into the bottom of that squat. Go slower, stay tighter and see if that that doesn't help things markedly. Also, consider narrowing your stance.

Your feet look to be too wide and pointed out too much. Bring your stance in closer to shoulder width and point your toes out 30 degrees. Remember to maintain proper back extension (think Superman drill from Starting Strength). Your butt is tucking under at the bottom. Slow down in your decent. It looks like you're dropping down too fast and not storing up energy for a proper a bounce and explosion out of the bottom.

You are getting extra depth at expense of your back position. Cut a few inches off your depth. Keep tight at the bottom and maintain your arch. It looks like your not raising your chest properly before you descend. Also, put your hands more on the top of the bar so your wrists are straight and not absorbing the weight from the bar.

Your stance appears to be wider than the recommended shoulder width.

Other than these minor tweaks I see a nice squat: lots of hip drive, knees out and tracking in line with your toes, knees not sliding forward at the bottom or shooting back too much out of the hole. All in all, nice work.

As others have said, slightly too deep; you're rounding your back slightly.

starting strength coach development program
    Second the stance width/foot angle comments. Point the toes out, yes, but not that far. Also remember the "chest up" cue! You are losing tightness in your back as soon as you start to descend--you need to practice maintaining that tightness the whole time. Once the weight gets heavy, you simply will not be able to squat this way. Focus on it in your warmup sets, CHEST UP the whole time.