starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deteriorating squat form when increasing weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSev View Post
    Well if the least you can go up each workout is 10 lbs then I WOULD suggest "microloading" and adding only 5 lbs per workout (though in my knowledge, microloading really only refers to adding 2.5 lbs or less per workout).

Also a good cue for you may be "chest up"...I tended to lean forward until I consciously thought chest up the whole time going down and coming back up. Take a biiiig breath at the top and hold it there your whole squat, you should feel it in your abs.
    This makes sense. Great advice. Thanks
    I think as I was looking down (about 5ft in front) I may have also been drawing my chest down - rather than up.

BTW, Do you ever find the pressure of that deep breath gets too much? I sometimes get a painful ache in my neck (near the throat glands) which I think is related to pressure. It doesn't occur if I breath out on the way up.
    Last edited by jimmy9pints; 05-07-2010 at 10:56 AM.

I've had some discomfort with the Valsalva maneuver. I found it's a bit better if I really focus on getting that pressure in the abdomen. I don't know if anything different really happens physiologically, but it feels different. I have noticed that I frequently blow small blood vessels in my neck and face. I wonder if that's normal?

Default 1.2kg plates

starting strength coach development program
    Got my 1.25kg plates today - will take them along to the gym tomorrow, deload and see how I go.

cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12