starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deteriorating squat form when increasing weight

Default Deteriorating squat form when increasing weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am deeply frustrated and would really appreciate some help here.

I have read Rip's SST 2nd Edition, watched a load of videos etc etc. and was pretty sure I had my squat form pretty good. However, as I add more weight my form suffers.

My problems are:
    • I lean forward too much (weight sometimes goes onto my toes),
    • A lot of strain is put onto my back, and
    • I can't squat right down into the hole without failing (though I do get to parallel).

But I am pretty sure I only get these problems at higher weights.

Today I had an embarrassing incident in the gym. The body builders there thought my technique was way out - they all gathered round to tell me, commenting what I was doing was going to mess my back up. today, I thought what they said may have held some truth - there was a lot of strain on my back and I did feel off balance.

Question:
    • Assuming my form was good at lower weights, should I deload, and micro-load my way back up?

Video

You should find a person who is willing and capable of offering you constructive criticism and learn how to squat correctly. Video's and books alone don't work for everybody. Past that form turns to shit with heavier weight if it's too much. Load correctly.

Squatting is like driving. Once you reach a certain level of proficiency you can do it alone but before that you need help. Even the most experienced squatters can make mistakes, like drivers, but they'll know what they did wrong once it happened and it's less likely to happen in general. No matter how long you've been squatting, someone informed giving you cues is helpful. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy9pints View Post

Question:
    • Assuming my form was good at lower weights, should I deload, and micro-load my way back up?
    A deload maybe, but not microloading. What have your jumps been on the squat? There's something to be said for just being strong and able to lift with bad form, but most of us aren't there yet. Right now, you need to focus on correct motor patterns so that you can lift big weights later (and not hurt yourself in the process). Yes, it's important to progress with every opportunity, but remember that lifting more weight isn't the only way to progress. Wouldn't you agree that improving your technique with each session is also a means of progression? I'm not saying to do this at the expense of not adding weight on the bar. You might just need to make smaller jumps while getting the movement down pat.

(This is just as much a lesson to myself. So forgive me if I went overboard here.)

But. I agree that you need to post a video.
    Last edited by jameson; 05-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Videotaping yourself (or having someone video tape you) can actually make you aware of problems you had no idea about previously. As a bonus, you can upload them and have people look at them here. Also, watch other form check videos so you can get an eye for what's right and what's wrong.

You can also look at the squat RX guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

He sometimes advocates a higher bar squat than Rippetoe does in his book, but he has a REALLY extensive set of videos that cover almost every problem you can think of in insane detail.

Thanks for your replies everybody. It's good to have a forum where people know what they're talking about.

@Jameson - no you didn't go overboard. Totally agree. Thanks for the detailed advice there. My jumps have been 5kg (10.1lbs) because 2.5kg is the smallest they have in the gym.

@Skander - Will get a video done and check out the Rx dude.

@ZKP - Yeah I would love to find someone who knows strength training, but everyone in my gym either knows body building or knows sweet FA, IMHO. I will deload and load correctly - I just went too heavy too fast.

Cheers

Well if the least you can go up each workout is 10 lbs then I WOULD suggest "microloading" and adding only 5 lbs per workout (though in my knowledge, microloading really only refers to adding 2.5 lbs or less per workout).

Also a good cue for you may be "chest up"...I tended to lean forward until I consciously thought chest up the whole time going down and coming back up. Take a biiiig breath at the top and hold it there your whole squat, you should feel it in your abs.

I'd look into investing the pocket change and get a pair of 1.25kg plates to take to the gym. Most cheap plates are a dollar a pound here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy9pints View Post
    I am deeply frustrated and would really appreciate some help here.

I have read Rip's SST 2nd Edition, watched a load of videos etc etc. and was pretty sure I had my squat form pretty good. However, as I add more weight my form suffers.

My problems are:
    • I lean forward too much (weight sometimes goes onto my toes),
    • A lot of strain is put onto my back, and
    • I can't squat right down into the hole without failing (though I do get to parallel).

But I am pretty sure I only get these problems at higher weights.

Today I had an embarrassing incident in the gym. The body builders there thought my technique was way out - they all gathered round to tell me, commenting what I was doing was going to mess my back up. today, I thought what they said may have held some truth - there was a lot of strain on my back and I did feel off balance.

Question:
    First thing you need to do is re-read the squat chapter, as Rip deals with a lot of this in there. Do not underestimate the value of re-reading the book as required. Regarding your weight shift problem, something Rip addresses in the book about this is to lift up your toes in your shoes, which will keep you from going so far forward, and keep the weight over mid-foot where it belongs.

Ditto the suggestions for 1.25 kilo plates. 10-pound jumps are huge. You could get away with that on deads, but squats? Forget about it!

Dunno if you use a belt, but around the time my back was getting really worked and I was having problems staying upright, I got a belt. Big help, so do it if you haven't already.

starting strength coach development program
    @Ian Kovtunovich. Thanks for your input. Yes, thinking about it - 10lb jumps are huge. Dumb really. Will re-read the book and try to get a grip on my technique. Have been thinking about getting a quality belt as my weight goes up - will look into it. Cheers.

@Jameson. Yeah, will invest in some smaller plates. Got my wife shopping online for them as I type this!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast