starting strength gym

Thread: Couple questions about performing chips/pull ups..

Default Couple questions about performing chips/pull ups..

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I find that I perform a valsava during them, is this normal?

I have also been trying to learn kipping since the very first time I did a chin up, but I find them much much harder.

I can do about 8 pull ups or 11 chins in a single set, should I be able to kip?

Kipping is more a technique/skill than a strength issue, once you're past 5 chest-to-bar PU/CU you can probably kip with practice. If one is not doing strict chest-to-bar, I don't know why they'd bother with any at all--that's like 1/4 squats.

It's totally fine and normal for valsalva during pull ups. Some may say it's preferred to do this, though just doing the pull up is best in my book.

Pretty good video on kipping on the crossfit website. I've never been able to try it at my current gym since the bars aren't high enough.

Yeah, I can get my sternum to touch the bar with chins, with pull ups my ROM finishes with the bar on my adams apple.

The bar in my gym sucks too, I only get to practice every so often when I do them in the park. But I have not got close to even doing 1 kipping pull up. I can get the start right, but when I get the the point where I have to pull with arms, it seems 10x harder than a regular pull up.

I can do 10 deadhang chins, but back when I was fucking around with CF I could never get the hang of doing more than 1 kipping at a time. It always really pissed me off, so I never practiced it that much.

starting strength coach development program
    I realised I was doing valsalva naturally. But without realising, I wasn't taking breaths at all and got gassed quickly. Now I consciously remind myself to breath at the bottom and valsalva before pulling.

And I only do strict dead hangs, no real point doing otherwise.