starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Falling over during Squat...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    judging by those videos on the bb.com link, the wall exercise produces the most awkward, weird looking squats I've ever seen.

don't worry about your knees coming out over your toes. have you really read starting strength? the TUBOW is to fix a different problem than knees too far over toes.

and, as others have said, I think we need to see a video before we can judge anything about your squat.

"My back has to be vertical..."?

"Every coach agrees with this method..."?

Either you're just trolling or you haven't read Starting Strength at all. The picture you pointed to shows the toes jammed up against the wall and a woman squatting *above parallel* (it may well be impossible to squat correctly jammed against the wall that way).

Go back to the book and either film yourself squatting or get a friend to spot you who has also read the book.

It's not necessarily easy to find correct form, but you'll have to at least have an empty bar on your back before you can judge.

Is it possible to have Rippetoe himself judge my form if I post it here, or will he not see it?

I guess I have to take a video camera next time I go into the gym...

Can I just film myself doing my form with a broomstick or golf club, or is that a waste of time?

Im also wondering something... I have no flexibility and cant bend past my knees to touch my toes.. what effect would this theoretically have on my squat? Is it unsafe to squat with no flexibility in your hamstrings?
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 06-19-2010 at 01:00 AM.

I really just can't get over how *BAD* this tutorial you posted is:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/no_pain_squat.htm

First, the figure of the squat in the title bar is actually correct -- it's contradicted by the advice the author gives in several places and other pictures later in the article -- but then again with advice like "Keeping your lower leg straight is the best way to protect your knees" and "always look at the ceiling" (which no one but one guy in a video doing a 1/4 squat does in the whole piece) why would you expect consistency?

Seriously this thing is put together randomly (maybe just cut and pasted from a number of contradictory sources, or written under the influence of substances not terribly conducive to rational thought or clear communication) - ignore it.

Besides, seriously, if you've got a copy of Starting Strength 2, you've got the best advice out there on how to squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Is it possible to have Rippetoe himself judge my form if I post it here, or will he not see it?

I guess I have to take a video camera next time I go into the gym...

Can I just film myself doing my form with a broomstick or golf club, or is that a waste of time?

Im also wondering something... I have no flexibility and cant bend past my knees to touch my toes.. what effect would this theoretically have on my squat? Is it unsafe to squat with no flexibility in your hamstrings?
    Hmmmm... My inner Class M-3 Model B9, General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot voice is saying "Danger... Danger... Danger", but I'll bite.
    You can post it in Marks forum but you might want to post it here first. Any way you do it, you should probably review a couple of your own videos while reviewing the chapter in the book. You want at least the 45lb bar on your back for the videos. After you've done that, make a video of your best effort and post it here.

Can you get into the bottom position as shown in SS? Figure 2-8 with the guy using his elbows to keep his knees apart?

Knees forward of toes is ok. Knees moving throughout is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by rdp View Post
    Can you get into the bottom position as shown in SS? Figure 2-8 with the guy using his elbows to keep his knees apart?

Knees forward of toes is ok. Knees moving throughout is something else.
    I can get into that position, but it doesnt feel very comfortable or natural, and I doubt I'm doing it right.

Yes, you've hit on my problem. My knees are moving forward the entire time of the squat... this is why Rippetoe places the wooden block, to stop this bad form. My hamstrings are tight, and thats probably whats causing this.

My question: During the descent, when DO the knees stop coming forward? About halway into the squat? Whats a good guideline?
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 06-19-2010 at 12:18 PM.

I can't believe I'm the only one to say this, but yes, it's a waste of time. You should quit fucking around with broomsticks and wall exercises, put a bar on your back, and do like it says in the book.

I dont have a video camera,... I'm thinking it might be easier for me to just get a good coach to look at my form.

I want to make sure my coach will understand Rippetoe's book and the proper back alignment, etc..

Do you know of any qualified coaches in the Dallas, Texas area?

Thanks..

starting strength coach development program
    I dont have a video camera,... I'm thinking it might be easier for me to just get a good coach to look at my form.

I want to make sure my coach will understand Rippetoe's book and the proper back alignment, etc..

Do you know of any qualified coaches in the Dallas, Texas area?

Thanks..
    Can you drive? If, so I know of a place about three hours north of you where you can find some good instruction. Also:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...306c5bfdb6329/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast