starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Falling over during Squat...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Can you drive? If, so I know of a place about three hours north of you where you can find some good instruction. Also:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...306c5bfdb6329/
    Thanks... I sometimes travel to Austin, maybe I'll check that out next time Im there..

Am I understanding this correctly? You have never actually done a squat other than an unweighted one, or with a broomstick? And you're deciding on that basis that you can't learn the movement without a coach?

Having a knowledgeable coach is a great thing, but this really isn't rocket surgery. It's quite possible to learn on your own, but more importantly, you don't get to decide that you can't learn from the book before actually attempting to follow the book's instructions. Nowhere in Starting Strength does it tell you to practice with a broomstick or do exercises against a wall. A weighted barbell squat is a different beast. Put the bar on your back, put a little bit of weight on it, and squat. You're not going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    but this really isn't rocket surgery.
    This is the best line I've seen in a while.

You're absolutely right. Try with some weight. If you have issues, find a video camera (seems every mobile phone and digital camera does video), post a video and helpful people (such as LudwigVan and TomC, who just commented on my pathetic form) will likely provide useful comments. You're certainly not going to hurt yourself squatting a bit of weight.

Your knees are supposed to be over the end of your foot slightly, that picture is not.

Am I understanding this correctly? You have never actually done a squat other than an unweighted one, or with a broomstick? And you're deciding on that basis that you can't learn the movement without a coach?

Having a knowledgeable coach is a great thing, but this really isn't rocket surgery. It's quite possible to learn on your own, but more importantly, you don't get to decide that you can't learn from the book before actually attempting to follow the book's instructions. Nowhere in Starting Strength does it tell you to practice with a broomstick or do exercises against a wall. A weighted barbell squat is a different beast. Put the bar on your back, put a little bit of weight on it, and squat. You're not going to die.
    Sorry for the confusion, maybe I haven't made myself clear...

I have done squats in the gym, with a barbell. My form was terrible and I felt bad in my knees and back, and I did fall down a few times, so I decided not to progress with adding more weight.

I then watched Squat RX and followed some of his suggestions, including the wall exercise. I also re-read Starting Strength, and started posting in this forum.

Ok. Different people with different proportions will have different angles (back, hip, knees, etc.) when performing a correct squat. Therefore, trying to mimic someone else's back angle or knee position may or may not be helpful. A few things, however, will be true for every correctly performed squat. The lumbar spine will be in extension and the bar will remain over the midfoot for the entire movement, for instance. If you're falling over backwards, the latter is not happening. You're probably trying to stay too upright. This is in the book.

Again, finding a good coach will surely be helpful, bu a good coach is sometimes hard to find, and I'm confident that you can solve this problem on your own.

Thanks, I will try to solve this problem in the gym...

The reason I'm falling down is that my concept of descending into the bottom position is not right.. I'm trying to "sit back" into the squat, but not really sure what that means..

One thing I've noticed about Rippetoe, he addresses hip drive upward and the bottom position, but he never talks about the downward descent into the bottom position.

Are the hips supposed to begin the movement by rotating and allowing the toros to come forward slightly? Or does the motion start with the knees bending? If you just sit back, you'll fall over of course, but thats what many instructors tell you to do..

Any simple cues that might help me? Or videos I can watch that explain the downward motion?
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 06-21-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Hips and knees move simultaneously. Knees should move forward and out at the very beginning of the movement and then stay put.

Talking

Having a knowledgeable coach is a great thing, but this really isn't rocket surgery.
    Hey Beethoven, LOL, I think the word you were looking for was "science".
    But I agree with you 100% on what you are saying.

starting strength coach development program
    This is the second time in a week someone has not gotten the "rocket surgery" joke... I thought everyone in the world would get that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast