starting strength gym

Thread: Triptych of Trainwreck

Default Triptych of Trainwreck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Helpful suggestions and ridiculous flames welcomed.

220lb squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or2tHp58r2A
    Main objective was to stop that forward roll at the bottom and concentrate on a vertical bar movement, some attention to controlling depth. Largely successful, get better next time with two wheels per side again, woo hoo!

105lb press:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zc7agcPsPA
    Last vid showed the bar moving back at the top of the movement, not so much this time but it's still there.

57.5kg power clean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLEQWHyxlg
    Main effort to jump in place (vice my usual wide split) and get the elbows up faster. I see clearly in the warmups that to keep my feet in I tend to turn my knees in a lot. That can't be good, and advice for us orangutang-limbed is appreciated. Still snapping my head back, but much improved from last time. I also now see that in all my setups my shoulders are in front of the bar, meaning I need to squeeze my chest up more at the setup which will keep the bar in closer and waste less energy of the jump. I didn't get the last rep of the last set, not a surprise because I completely boned the first work set and because of the form changes from last time.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    220lb squat

These look pretty light for you. It looks to me like you could work on keeping your upper back tight and extended. The bar position looked a little unstable. I also think there's a little more loss of back angle coming out of the hole than is desirable. Chest up.

105lb press
    I think these look pretty good. Make sure the bar doesn't get away from you on the way down and remember to get under it aggressively.

57.5kg power clean
    It's tough to see from this angle, but I didn't notice any major issues.

Your press form looks very good to me. Your clean looks okay to me.

However your squat has at least one problem I see - your neck. The purpose of looking down in a squat is to maintain a neutral neck position; as the body bends at the hips, the head inclines forward, hence looking down. Your neck is hyper extended forward and then looking down. It is arched like a "c". Maintain a neutral neck means looking forward or slightly down at the top of the squat, then looking down as your hips break. Obviously your eyeballs will move as you go down , as you focus on a spot on the floor ahead of you, not directly below you. Fix the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    However your squat has at least one problem I see - your neck. The purpose of looking down in a squat is to maintain a neutral neck position; as the body bends at the hips, the head inclines forward, hence looking down. Your neck is hyper extended forward and then looking down. It is arched like a "c". Maintain a neutral neck means looking forward or slightly down at the top of the squat, then looking down as your hips break. Obviously your eyeballs will move as you go down , as you focus on a spot on the floor ahead of you, not directly below you. Fix the neck.
    Yup. Neutral, not curved into a "c".

FBW, Ab-less Gary, thanks for the observation, it may correlate with LV's observation about upper back tightness. I have felt the upper back isn't right lately, but couldn't put my finger on it, this could be it. Thanks!