starting strength gym

Thread: Good morning technique

Default Good morning technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    At the risk of overthinking an assistance exercise, I'd like to know how you all do good mornings.

I've been doing really minimal assistance work for awhile, but I decided to throw these in yesterday after my squats and had a hard time getting comfortable with them. I squat low-bar, and I'm very comfortable with that bar position. But as the whole point of a GM is to create a lever arm between the bar and the hip, it seems that a high bar position would make the most sense. I had a hell of a time finding a good bar position though, and I ended up with a huge crazy-looking bruise on my lower traps. Is this just something I'll get used to? Or is this maybe a legitimate time to break out the maxi-pad?

Also, I had trouble getting much range of motion while keeping my lumbar spine extended and my knees locked. I ended up unlocking my knees slightly, which allowed me to bring my torso to parallel with the floor. I felt a lot of hamstring tension during the eccentric, and my hammies are a little sore today, but it never felt heavy. Maybe I wasn't using enough weight -- I did 3x10 with 135. My last squat PR was 360x5.

Any thoughts on the best way to do these would be appreciated.

Indeed, the high bar position can be a lot lower than many people (including me) expect. I could never manage to keep a bar there as it was so painful, but then I watched experienced lifters, who kept it low on the traps. When I tried, it felt great! Actually better than low bar squats for me. The right position is not painful.

Also,
    Your not supposed to keep your knees locked. Bend the knees slightly, and keep them at that position, make sure not to let them go forward as you descend.

What you should focus on is getting your ass far back. The side profile of your body at the "bottom" should be like a seven shape. Not like a weird squat.

I let my back round a little (maintaining tightness). It has done heaps of good for me like helping with back pain and boosting my deadlift progression.