starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Depth

Default Squat Depth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How do you know, without a video of yourself (no camera available) and a good coach, If your squat is "too deep"?

I am going down "all the way" but I have been re-reading and looking around on the forum and it seems some people have been going to deep as well.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to make sure I am hitting proper depth without going to low?

Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post
    How do you know, without a video of yourself (no camera available) and a good coach, If your squat is "too deep"?

I am going down "all the way" but I have been re-reading and looking around on the forum and it seems some people have been going to deep as well.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to make sure I am hitting proper depth without going to low?
    There is really no such thing as too low, unless you are going low at the expense of rounding your back.

Thumbs down

troll!!!!!!!!!!

@Carnivroar,
    Are you calling me a troll? It is a legitimate question. And if rounding your back is the same thing as butt wink then I need to figure out how to fix the problem broseph.

@Carnivroar,
    Are you calling me a troll? It is a legitimate question. And if rounding your back is the same thing as butt wink then I need to figure out how to fix the problem broseph.
    That is something you do need to address, Colowayno.

You're going too low if you have to relax anything to achieve depth. For most people, this means your low bar squat shouldn't go much beyond parallel.

Thanks Ludwig. I think that is my problem then. I pretty much get down to where my hams and calves touch.......

I have really pronounced butt wink. Everyone said that would kind of work itself out with flexibility.

Thanks Ludwig. I think that is my problem then. I pretty much get down to where my hams and calves touch.......

I have really pronounced butt wink. Everyone said that would kind of work itself out with flexibility.
    That is not entirely true. You can have rubber like hamstrings, if your back relaxes in the bottom you will still have butt wink.

Buttwink is caused my inflexible hamstrings, but mostly adductors.

You need to shove your knees out. If you have tight adductors, you won't be able to shove the out enough.

starting strength coach development program
    I am definitely knees out all the way. That is the first thing I fixed after reading SS. I have that part down

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast