starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Yeah, somebody already wrote one, and it's called Starting Strength. That's my point.
    Yes, but it costs almost 30 dollars, that is if you live in the US. If not, it costs maybe twice that amount and takes maybe a month or more to arrive, if it does.

I think requiring people to read the book would pass a bad impression, like we are either "charging a fee" for people to post here or being a bunch of snob people that would not be bothered to help them if they haven't read some book.

Well, I think I've stated my opinion clearly enough. To me, this is a community that exists around/because of Rip's books, SS in particular, not in isolation. That doesn't mean his books are the be-all-end-all of training, but again, this is startingstrength.com, not just a general lifting site. There is an assumption here that Rip's method of teaching the lifts covered in SS is largely correct. If this forum became a place where every thread consisted of someone summarizing material from SS for someone who hadn't read it, I'd stop coming here.

I stirred quite a discussion with my little video.

In fact, I have bought 3 of Rippetoe's Books and although I haven't studied them in detail yet, I have at least gotten a basic impression of it's content.

I doubt anybody on this board started with a perfect deadlift and most people aren't able to judge their own technique without some feedback.

I think the reason why I have adopted the rather odd starting position is not a lack of knowledge but rather the only way I have been able to reach a neutral spine.

When I start with the hips higher and the shoulders over the bar the lumbar spine is always slightly rounded and never in an arch (neutral). I attribute this to my tight hamstrings.

Next time I will attempt to reach neutral spine through proper chest-up butt-out and not by sacrificing my starting position.

I also second the notion to create a Sticky with a basic Form-Checklist, as the Deadlift description in Starting Strenght spans 41 pages, and it's rather easy to get lost in Mark's detailed description.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gravity View Post
    I stirred quite a discussion with my little video.

In fact, I have bought 3 of Rippetoe's Books and although I haven't studied them in detail yet, I have at least gotten a basic impression of it's content.

I doubt anybody on this board started with a perfect deadlift and most people aren't able to judge their own technique without some feedback.

I think the reason why I have adopted the rather odd starting position is not a lack of knowledge but rather the only way I have been able to reach a neutral spine.

When I start with the hips higher and the shoulders over the bar the lumbar spine is always slightly rounded and never in an arch (neutral). I attribute this to my tight hamstrings.

Next time I will attempt to reach neutral spine through proper chest-up butt-out and not by sacrificing my starting position.

I also second the notion to create a Sticky with a basic Form-Checklist, as the Deadlift description in Starting Strenght spans 41 pages, and it's rather easy to get lost in Mark's detailed description.
    Well, if you have the book than there is something really wrong. I mean, even if you just open the book and look at the pictures and compare them to your deadlift, can't you see that they look a "little" different?

If you read the text, Rip is pretty clear on how the back should not be vertical or remotely like yours is on the video.

And as for form and external feedback you are wrong. I have done it without posting atrocious form here. A lot of people did. It helps every now and then to film yourself and watch the video yourself though but it's not necessary to have other people correcting what are gross technique mistakes. Such things are, or should be, so damn obvious that it is a waste of other people's time to ask them to do something you should very well be able to do by yourself. Maybe a little tweak here and there like "are my knees shoved out enough", not "how are my knees" when your knees are collapsing like rubber sticks.

starting strength coach development program
    The checklist you're looking for is on page 122 of SS 2nd Ed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123