starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check yet again

Default Squat form check yet again

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've been here several times with concern over my knees. Went under an x-ray a week ago and there was no damage whatsoever, so I assume all the clicking and looseness I feel is just worn down cartilage.

Even if that's the case, this happened because of the squat. If there's anything critically wrong with my current form, that could lead to actually developing a serious injury in my knees, please look at this video and inform me, because I am utterly disgusted with my knees currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQggYb49Ibw

Do you stretch?

I've noticed in the past that my knees started hurting when I neglected stretching my hamstrings and adductors for a while, and then felt better almost immediately when I resumed daily stretching. Stretches 2 and 3 in the attached image were the ones that worked for me.

Your squats look fine to me, as they have in the other videos you've posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I stretch all the time with resistance bands and through both relaxed and dynamic stretching. I'm approaching being flexible enough for a full side split. Trust me, I thought that was the problem at first too. Six months later, I can see that it's not the case.

Break at the knees and hits at the same time. This is most likely why your knees hurt.

You're throwing your ass back in the beginning, which causes the knees to move forward at the bottom. Not good.

Other than that, it's good.

I threw my ass back because I was advised to sit into the squat, and shoving the ass back was said to be the best way to do this. I'll try making it a simultaneous descent and see if it fixes my knees =/

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    I threw my ass back because I was advised to sit into the squat, and shoving the ass back was said to be the best way to do this. I'll try making it a simultaneous descent and see if it fixes my knees =/
    "Sit back" is not really a good cue. The bar travels in a vertical path. Your hips must got back AS your knees come foward, otherwise all kinds of inbalances will happen and it will fuck your shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    "Sit back" is not really a good cue. The bar travels in a vertical path. Your hips must got back AS your knees come foward, otherwise all kinds of inbalances will happen and it will fuck your shit up.
    Well, fuck, that explains why my knees have been grinded into uselessness after these months of not being to figure out where my squat form had gone wrong. I always thought sitting back was the one thing I did exceptionally well. So, if Rip's quote holds true, will fixing this unfuck my knees or am I hosed?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    Well, fuck, that explains why my knees have been grinded into uselessness after these months of not being to figure out where my squat form had gone wrong. I always thought sitting back was the one thing I did exceptionally well. So, if Rip's quote holds true, will fixing this unfuck my knees or am I hosed?
    It's probably not that bad. I mean, I hurt my back numerous times while lifting and it always heals up. But don't take my word for it, I'm no doctor. Definitely wear knee sleeves. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Break at the knees and hits at the same time. This is most likely why your knees hurt.

You're throwing your ass back in the beginning, which causes the knees to move forward at the bottom. Not good.

Other than that, it's good.
    The only problem here is that his knees are not coming forward at the bottom. In fact, the first thing his knees do at the bottom is move back.

So, let's review a few things. First, Misery has posted here a few times and his knees are constant problem. In most cases, his form looks pretty solid. In the past, he has been working to keep his knees as far back as possible and was thinking of moving to box squats to allow more of that. Sitting back is very good cue in the squat for the majority of trainees. Misery has taken this a little too far and is now holidng off on breaking with the knees until after the movement has initiated.

When the knees go back first thing at the bottom of the squat, that can cause some pain over time. Ideally, the knees stay planted where they are for the bottom half of the squat. At the bottom, the hips need to be driven up, not back, which is what you are doing and it is causing the knees to open and move back.

Your knees have been hurting you for months. I would be flatly amazed if one squatting session resulted in a cessation of pain. Where do you live? Do you have access to any good coaches? This is something you may want some trained eyes to observe and correct. Your knee pain will likely be with you for a while, even as you find what you need to do.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 08-26-2010 at 09:35 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Ah TomC, I had a feeling something was wrong with my hip drive, as I get little hip pointers every now and then from squatting. Is that what this basically all comes down to, aside from my not breaking at the hip and knee simulataneously?

If that's the case, I'll work on the hip drive, but that'll be a tough habit to break after a year of faulty mechanics. Are there any physical cues I can follow to ensure I'm driving up and not back?

And I'm at UNC, where I'm sure there are some coaches, but none for regular students. Shame I'm not on the football team.

So I think I've got this for later today:

Break at the knees and hip and drive UP not back. I'm glad we've finally found SOMETHING wrong with my form, because it never felt quite right.

Oh, and one more question while you're around, Tom, what can I do to absolutely ensure my lower back is tight and safe in the deadlift? Should I really focus on arching my lower back before I pull?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast