starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift: how much rounding is ok?

Default Deadlift: how much rounding is ok?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to get my deadlift proper. I have a tendency to raise my hips at the start with no corresponding movement of the bar.

Is my setup okay? It looks like my hips are too high.

My back is rounded but how bad is it?

Set 1

Any input appreciated, thanks!

This is painful to watch.

Re-read the deadlift chapter of SS.

You start off with your shoulders directly over the bar - BAD. The weight only comes off the floor after your hips shoot up to a position that gets the bar under your scapulas, which is where the bar needs to be.

Your are probably setting up with your hips too low. It would be helpful to include your setup procedure in the video to see if you are complying with the SS setup procedure.

The back rounding is bad and it's gonna hurt when the weight gets heavier.

And try and find some round plates - it is hard to make fine adjustments on the pull with that kind of plate.

Bad. Your lower back never once even comes close to being set. Rounded upper back can be fine when advanced, but set your lower back. Try the superman drill in the squat chapter to learn how it feels to contract erectors.

straight as an arrow vs. the infamous side view deadlift video thread example

starting strength coach development program
    bamzi: That explains why my hips shift up and forward at the start of the lift. I'll review the DL chapter, work on my form and post a followup video with the setup and all.

Platus: Unfortunately I can't do anything about those weights. It's rare I have to fiddle with the weights in between reps. I think I was slowing the bar descent more than usual this time.

gzt: I will work on getting my back set in the deadlift setup. I get my back set fine during the squat. I think I've been focusing too much on getting the weight up and letting my form slide.

milesdyson: Thanks for the pointer to this thread.