starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Squatting Correctly?

Default Am I Squatting Correctly?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello.

After posting my squatting videos you guys gave me a lot of good advices which I tried to put into practice:

• I lowered the bar to low bar squat height.
    • I am wearing a t-shirt.
    • I tried not to pause on bottom position.
    • I lowered the safety pins to leave out the bouncing and get a little more depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Q6bBdfXfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMrZGj_XBWs

I hope that I have got to a low bar squat now.

What about tension in the back, knee and foot angle, foot stance and head angle?

What other advice on my squat form do you have for me?

Thanks in advance. =D

From the side view it still looks high-bar--back is too vertical and knees are sliding forward too much.

Bend over and stick your ass out a bit more.

You got the bar in the lower position, however you are still squatting high bar style, i.e. knee forward, no hip drive. I advise rereading the squat chapter in SS.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    From the side view it still looks high-bar--back is too vertical and knees are sliding forward too much.

Bend over and stick your ass out a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    You got the bar in the lower position, however you are still squatting high bar style, i.e. knee forward, no hip drive. I advise rereading the squat chapter in SS.
    I guess that now the bar position is right.

Ok, now I have to get more horizontal and shove my knees out more to the side rather than forward, right?

I already reread the squat chapter and noticed that I underestimated the importance of the hip drive. I will try to tense my lower back portion more and initiate the motion with my hip.

Then I will post my form again.

Better stance than ur other form check and also if u notice, wearing a shirt makes a difference. The bar feels more secure on your back cause it's not sliding right??

Still light so keep adding weight. Hip drive plays a crucial role on a heavy squat. Knees out and tight!

I think these look good. Look for some youtube videos of Rip coaching the squat to get more ideas of what the hip drive and squat in general look like. Some of the reps you may have cut a little short. Since you've got the low bar position down, your back angle will then be determined by where over your foot the bar is. If it's over the middle of your foot (which takes some paying attention to determine), and it definitely should be when the bar is heavy, then you don't need to consciously make your back more horizontal.

You would probably benefit from looking down more, vs. straight ahead as you seem to be doing here. Do that and think about the visual in SS of the chain pulling your ass straight out of the hole.

Default New Videos

Today I put on a bit more weight in comaprison to yesterday when only 52 kg (114 lb) were on the barbell.

I trained with multiple sets of three repetitions with 92 kg (202 lb) and 102 kg (224 lb) to focus on technique.

I filmed four of these sets. The first two are done with 92 kg and the last two are done with 102 kg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmU8fg6DpXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBKba0ghOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DILIm8UA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i9Ncj1w_KM

I really tried to put in hip drive this time.

Due to the bigger weights I can now feel the hamstrings a lot. The hamstring involvement is great.

I do not even know why people do not drop the high bar squat entirely in favor of the low bar squat.

In olympique weightlifting the pull portion of every lift is a lot better imitated by the low bar squat in comparison to the high bar squat.

In strongman sports you need the typical deadlift motion which is also better presented by the low bar squat.

And for the needed ROM in powerlifting the low bar squat is superior due to its leverage.

Am right or wrong?
    Last edited by The Solution; 08-29-2010 at 04:02 PM.

There is still too much forward knee travel. There is no reason why your knee should be sliding forward after 1/3 of the descent. And you are spending way too much time at the bottom.

And I'm pretty sure there's a reason why high-bar is favored for olympic lifting.

btw was that a burp on the 4th video?

starting strength coach development program
    Can I avoid this by leaning more forward or by shoving my knees out more to the side or both? I just realized that the barbell is already above the middle of my foot.

I always thought that the high bar squat is primarily used for developing more strength. Isn't the low bar squat better for this purpose due to its hamstring emphasis?

Concerning the burp: Yes. xD

I recorded a few more videos and I did not even notice the burp at all. Sorry about that. Blame the sparkling mineral water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast