starting strength gym

Thread: Squat problems guys...

Default Squat problems guys...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I tried 352 for 5 reps on friday and filmed it, it went bad, well u can see I guess...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mlyxmKPWsE

sorry about the poor angle, its really the best I can get in my garage.

My back angle went to shit, I found reps 2 and 4 especially difficult because they hit the bar and screwed me up... The only thing I was happy with was depth, depth on all 5 was looow.

I currently squat with flat squat shoes, I can see that my back angle right at the bottom (not counting 2nd + 4th rep) is really horizontal, i'm thinking that some heeled shoes should help me keep the angle better...

Thanks.

That was not good. It was really bad...

Take 50 lbs off the bar and get your back extended. Work it back up from there with your back extended.

Again, that was really bad.

Fix your back extension before worrying about your back angle. In fact, fixing your back extension will probably fix your back angle.

Fix it before you destroy some of your discs.

That was pretty bad.. you're going too deep because you're not tight enough. You need to drop the weight and make sure you're able to stay tight at the bottom (back extended hard, active valsalva, knees out) and then add weight slowly from there.

You've got bar in high bar position but you are trying to maintain a low bar back angle. Naturally, that fooker is bending you over.

Fix the bar position and I think you'll find the right back angle much easier to maintain.

Thanks all, I realise these are terrible squats. Ordered some shoes with heels, maybe they'l help? will lower the bar a bit (time to re-read squats in SS) and will tighten up.

for some reason your video won't start

okay now it does.

no, heels will not help you. fixing your form will. you look like you are holding the bar in the high position but you are trying to squat low-bar style.

btw nice ass
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 08-29-2010 at 01:24 PM.

There is really no point in critiquing anything else until you get the bar 3" lower on your back.

I have a feelings things would look pretty damn good with the bar in the low-bar position.

Yes, re-read SS and watch other squat videos.

The bar needs to be over your scapulae (we should be able to see the full bar in this video angle), not over your traps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Yes, re-read SS and watch other squat videos.

The bar needs to be over your scapulae (we should be able to see the full bar in this video angle), not over your traps.
    In fairness about the bar thing.

I think the angle does make me look a little bit shitter than what it really was.. I'll post some of my 5x5 tomorrow, maybe get a better angle...