starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Squat

Default Overhead Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm having a heck of a time with this. When I get anywhere lower than a push press the bar drifts forward on me. It feels like a shoulder mobility problem but for all I know it could be a techique issue, i.e. staying upright.

Does anyone have a decent link to a good coaching video on the overhead squat?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    I'm having a heck of a time with this. When I get anywhere lower than a push press the bar drifts forward on me. It feels like a shoulder mobility problem but for all I know it could be a techique issue, i.e. staying upright.

Does anyone have a decent link to a good coaching video on the overhead squat?

thanks.
    Have a look at the Crossfit Exercise Demos.

I can probably help you, since it took me about 2 months to get it when I started because of shoulder flexibility, and still cannot jerk without dangerous back flexion. Those two months involved playing with it 2-3 times a week, because I had 3 sets of OHS in my warmup every time I hit the gym.

For shoulder flexibility, you need to practice pass-throughs with as wide a grip as possible on a broomstick or similar (PVC pipe is good...), moving your fingers in a couple of inches a rep, until you can pass through with your arms making a 20-30 degree angle with the bar. At that point, I found there was a "slot" in my shoulder movement if I tried to pull the bar apart which just happened to be vertically above my shoulders. It really is "eureka", unlike anything else I've done with weights, but it takes a bit of time and work.