starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check v2.0

Default Squat Check v2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ***UPDATE 2010-09-01***

Any improvements in form? Any better, worse, the same? I added a deadlift video as well.

Set 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIk-L_pfLU

Set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyweH5PL8qg

Stance looks pretty wide in this vid, it's funny that my stance doesn't feel as wide as it appears.

Deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboO8qi5zg4

I watched the deadlift video and angle is pretty bad.

***END UPDATE***

I posted a squat vid previsously where it was pointed out the I was falling forward/ heels coming up and that my stance was a little wide. My stance is probably still wide but I've worked on driving off my heels. I feel that my drive not is weaker, however, my last set I felt strong off my heels with a strong hip drive; I just didn't record it.

This is my second set 226lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJfvCuRIFY
    Last edited by biggs202000; 09-01-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: update

You have indeed fixed the issue with your heels coming off the ground. Good work. Your descent is a little choppy. You want to break with the hips and knees around the same time, with maybe a very slight bias for moving with the hips first (maybe half an inch of travel before everything else starts going). At the bottom, you have a tendency to let the knees come forward and that is going to make rebounding out of the bottom more difficult. As you fatigue, your tendency to shoot the butt and the knees back increases, resulting in more of a good morning on the ascent. So, what to do? The knees need to get forward early and stay planted for the rest of the squat. When you rebound out of the bottom of the squat, you need to drive your hips up while keeping the knees in place.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, are you microloading the squat? I see you have some tiny plates on the bar. Just curious.

Yeah, it's just temporary. I'm coming off a nasty cold and I'll only feeling at about 80% during the vid. I also missed fridays workout because of my stupid cold. Plus I'm dedicated to cleaning up my form. The weight right now is heavy enough to fatigue me but I feel if i add weight too much too soon that I'll be progressing faster than my form will allow.

I just had a big reset about a month ago. I was squatting 245 but I caught myself in the mirror blatantly high so I unloaded and focused on depth. I've been microloading for bench and press for a few weeks now. My upper body strength is lacking and 5lb jumps are just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs202000 View Post
    Yeah, it's just temporary. I'm coming off a nasty cold and I'll only feeling at about 80% during the vid. I also missed fridays workout because of my stupid cold. Plus I'm dedicated to cleaning up my form. The weight right now is heavy enough to fatigue me but I feel if i add weight too much too soon that I'll be progressing faster than my form will allow.

I just had a big reset about a month ago. I was squatting 245 but I caught myself in the mirror blatantly high so I unloaded and focused on depth. I've been microloading for bench and press for a few weeks now. My upper body strength is lacking and 5lb jumps are just too much.
    I don't know if people microload on the squat, but increasing in 1 lbs increments seems rather pointless, just for the fact that the variation between the different 45 lbs plates you use is probably higher than that. You could just do 225 for a week or something.

For upper body lifts I guess you could do that, but 1lbs seems awfully slow.

I'm mostly just busting your balls here, it really doesn't really matter actually.

starting strength coach development program
    Your hips rise faster than your torso. Keep that chest up.