starting strength gym

Thread: Press and Empty bar squat check

Default Press and Empty bar squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Using my friend's youtube account:

Here's my squat: edit: squat removed as it's pointless to judge with bar only.
    These are rehab squats, haven't squatted in 3 weeks due to adductor injury, trying the Starr rehab now. This is also the first time I've low bar squatted. I know it's probably hard to judge form when it's so light, but I'd like to make sure my form is correct from the beginning now that I've switched to low bar. I felt as if the bar was sliding up somewhat, out of the low bar position. But it's probably because I'm not used to it and my shoulders are not fully flexible yet.

Here's my press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkstnRf7EmE

That's my first set, at my new PR, 40kg. Some reps I felt like one arm came down faster than the other... stupid weaker left arm. Also, I leaned back too far on some reps?

Sorry about camera angles.

Thanks for feedback!
    Last edited by manisstrong; 09-03-2010 at 10:22 PM.

I'd consider those high-bar squats. The bar rests on your lower traps, but still on your traps and not on the rear deltoids. Just FYI.

I think you could sit back a bit more at the bottom -- stick out your butt more. The powercage is in the way in the clip, but it looks like your back curves in the bottom position. When squatting light, go slower and make sure to retain the tension in the low back throughout the lift. It should be a well ingrained habit before going heavy.

As for the press, place the bar on the heel of your palm so that it forms a vertical line together with the forearm. In the clip, it rests close to the knuckles. Also, keep your chest up in the press, rather than leaning back to allow the bar to pass in front of your face.

Quote Originally Posted by manisstrong
    I know it's probably hard to judge form when it's so light
    It's not hard, it's just pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by manisstrong View Post
    Here's my press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkstnRf7EmE

That's my first set, at my new PR, 40kg. Some reps I felt like one arm came down faster than the other... stupid weaker left arm. Also, I leaned back too far on some reps?
    You're not leaning back too far. Press looks pretty much fine. It looked easy, there's no way that was a max. I'd recommend spending less time hanging out at the top if possible. I like to do the first two reps of a set in one breath, I find it helps a lot.

@Pjotor: Thanks for your suggestions... I'll try to keep my back tighter and see if I can hold the bar lower when pressing

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    It's not hard, it's just pointless.
    Haha, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Press looks pretty much fine. It looked easy, there's no way that was a max. I'd recommend spending less time hanging out at the top if possible. I like to do the first two reps of a set in one breath, I find it helps a lot.
    Thanks. Well it probably looked easier because it's my first set... that's the max weight I've ever pressed.
    Last edited by manisstrong; 09-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Add weights on the squat, it's a different story when there's weight on the bar.

For the press, it seems out of place. The only good rep was the 3rd. You have a tendency to push the bar back, but you should bring your torso forward and keeping the bar path in a straight line. Re-read the press chapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

Thanks, I'll try to push it up rather than back and push my body in front.

The response to my press on another forum has been much more negative however, with most telling me to lower the weight as I will injure myself =/

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manisstrong View Post
    The response to my press on another forum has been much more negative however, with most telling me to lower the weight as I will injure myself =/
    That's stupid. There's really not much wrong with it. I meant to add, though, that I think you should focus more on staying tight and bouncing off the bottom of the movement.