starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, just wondering if I'm squatting correctly. I'm not so sure about the bar on my back, if it's low enough or not..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHQKxnOR28

Any feedback is appreciated,
    Thanks

Can't see where the bar is on your back because the plates block the view. It's hard to tell from this angle the width of your heels, but it looks like they need to come in a bit and turn your toes outward more to about 30 degrees from parallel. Sit back more once you find the sweet spot that keeps the bar over the heel of your foot. It's pretty evident from the video that your bar path is not straight up and down, consequently you struggle coming out of the bottom. Trace a line in your mind from where the bar starts in space to where it ends and you'll see its 5-7 inches forward of your heel.

We cannot see where the bar is because the weights obscure your shoulders. You are rather wobbly in your squat and it looks like the weight transfers to your toes as you descend and to your heels shortly thereafter. Your back appears to be in slight flexion through most of the movement and in general you need to be more planted during the movement. Proper weightlifting shoes would be of help. You do a good job of breaking parallel, but this is accomplished partly by rounding your back, which is a no-no. Do you have Starting Strength?

Quote Originally Posted by rpbrown View Post
    Sit back more once you find the sweet spot that keeps the bar over the heel of your foot. It's pretty evident from the video that your bar path is not straight up and down, consequently you struggle coming out of the bottom. Trace a line in your mind from where the bar starts in space to where it ends and you'll see its 5-7 inches forward of your heel.
    Thanks, didn't realise this until you pointed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Proper weightlifting shoes would be of help. You do a good job of breaking parallel, but this is accomplished partly by rounding your back, which is a no-no. Do you have Starting Strength?
    I've been meaning to get some shoes but don't have the money atm, I've heard dress shoes can be of help rather than barefoot. Is this recommended around here? And yes I have the book only.

Thanks for the feedback guys I'll try and get another video from another angle with the tips in mind tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You do a good job of breaking parallel, but this is accomplished partly by rounding your back, which is a no-no. Do you have Starting Strength?
    There is not enough back rounding here to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    There is not enough back rounding here to worry about.
    You may be right, but I'd like to see him stay tighter, especially on the last two reps.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 09-06-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Removed silliness on my part.

Today was my third attempt at 82.5kg - about 182# (553, 420 and 544).

Here are the videos anyway (1st and 2nd set)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZZjncjseQY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpIUDoxmuY

And here's my deadlift @ 105kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4IRM7BfBFQ

Should I deload by 10% and do 2.5kg increases again or drop it back to 60kg with 5kg increases and really focus on my form?

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Man I would say you might need to focus more on your back, keep everything tight so that it doesn't move as much as it does on the lower part while in the "hole", it is as if you are almost doing good mornings in some of them... might wanna cue yourself to lift the chest while on the way up, some people solve this problem that way(including myself)

Don't worrie about the weights, you will have pleanty of time to get back up and quickly

Everything else looks solid