starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mind doing a quick Squat form check?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Ok then, I will go into more detail. I don't want to bother repeating info from the book for someone who hasn't read it when they're better off just reading it. At least if someone has it in their possession they can go re-read the relevant part.
    Thanks LudwigVan, I appreciate the advice. I'm now kicking myself for thinking ATG was part of SS... I'm trying to figure out where the heck I came up with that. I swore it was in the wiki entry, but I just searched it and didn't see it. Anyway, thanks again!

From what I've been told the SS Wiki site and its content are not maintained by Rip or Aasgaard.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    From what I've been told the SS Wiki site and its content are not maintained by Rip or Aasgaard.
    You would be correct in that assertion.

In your defense, I recall part of the squat instructiion in SS tells you to squat "all the way down" or something similar.

But the bottom position is different for the low bar and high bar squat variants. The low bar bottom occurs when the posterior chain is adequately stretched and for most humans is a couple of inches below parallel when a weighted barbell is on the back. A properly done high bar/ olympic squat has it's bottom when the calves obstruct the thighs or your heels obstruct your ass from going any lower--whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Trask View Post
    Thanks LudwigVan, I appreciate the advice. I'm now kicking myself for thinking ATG was part of SS... I'm trying to figure out where the heck I came up with that. I swore it was in the wiki entry, but I just searched it and didn't see it. Anyway, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    In your defense, I recall part of the squat instructiion in SS tells you to squat "all the way down" or something similar...
    Quote Originally Posted by SS 2nd Ed., p.35
    ... This is another reason why good depth is important: the deeper you can squat with good form, the more the hamstrings are stretched, and the longer they are when they begin to contract the longer they can produce force during the contraction.
    So while it never says "ATG" it also doesn't say to limit yourself to parallel or slightly below.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    So while it never says "ATG" it also doesn't say to limit yourself to parallel or slightly below.
    It says you shouldn't relax anything to achieve depth, and slightly below parallel is the practical limit for most people. I'm pretty sure Rip goes into this on the DVD as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    It says you shouldn't relax anything to achieve depth, and slightly below parallel is the practical limit for most people. I'm pretty sure Rip goes into this on the DVD as well.
    Yup, he tells at least one person to cut it off just below parallel because they started to lose lower back (lumbar?) extension.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123