starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: extension vs over extension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tom, i suppose I meant hyperlordosis... Personally, the way i sit at a chair all day, my back is always arched, but my friend a couple cubes over sits with his back always rounded - he is not hyperlordotic.

Champ, yeah, I def feel hip drive more when i keep my abs clamped. You do still need to have an arch, but it won't feel as expressed as the hyperextension you're used to.

Do you guys walk out with an arched back or do you arch it before the descent?

You'll probably find that when it gets heavy enough you'll walk out with the same back-set as your descent... when i'm only squatting 200 I could walk out while spinning a hoola hoop, I think (can't be certain until i check tonight) that when I walk out a heavy set I don't need to change my back arch before I go down.

Quote Originally Posted by unochamp1 View Post
    Whoah--you need to have everything set before you lift the bar off the hooks! Setting your back after you pick up the bar is bad juju.

Quote Originally Posted by unochamp1 View Post
    You should be in an extremely strong and stable posture when you walk it out, just like you will be when you squat. Take a big deep breath before you unrack the weight and hold it. Push your elbows up, chest up. You probably should wear a belt and make sure your abs are supporting you as well. Your back should be supported by all of this in a normal extension. Take only short quick breaths so you don't lose tightness.

Here's a question and a follow up for the board... when you set up for the squat, how many of you find the bar wanting to lift off the pins just by virtue of your setup, before you even extend your knees to walk it out? It seems like that's how it should feel, do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Here's a question and a follow up for the board... when you set up for the squat, how many of you find the bar wanting to lift off the pins just by virtue of your setup, before you even extend your knees to walk it out? It seems like that's how it should feel, do you agree?
    I always squat my best when this happens during my set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by WWOL View Post
    I always squat my best when this happens during my set-up.

Can you describe this in more detail? Maybe I can find this "zone" myself. Thanks.

You should be in an extremely strong and stable posture when you walk it out, just like you will be when you squat. Take a big deep breath before you unrack the weight and hold it. Push your elbows up, chest up. You probably should wear a belt and make sure your abs are supporting you as well. Your back should be supported by all of this in a normal extension. Take only short quick breaths so you don't lose tightness.
    If you are doing this ^ you should feel it. I think one of the last things I do is drive my elbows up and chest up, and that's when I feel I'm already taking most of the weight and the bar starts to move a little on the pins.

starting strength coach development program
    I sometimes findthat my lower body is not set up correctly when I get the chest and elbows up and I have to start over because that just loaded my body. You have to get tight under the bar, so it ends up getting light on the pins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12