starting strength gym

Thread: Let's see what I learned - Squat form check part 2...

Default Let's see what I learned - Squat form check part 2...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Guys, thank you so much for your comments on my other form vid. Here's where I'm at now (sorry for the camera angle, it was the best I could do):

Thanks for any comments!!

look pretty damn good to me. good job.

Good squats. It's tough to tell if you are really getting much of a bounce from the extended hamstrings, but you may be. Knees looked good. Depth appeared good, except for your last rep. It may have been shy, but once again, it is tough to tell from this angle.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm hitting 255 lb tomorrow, which was my old 1 RM. It's hard to believe I'm already there after just one month! Good stuff. If I could just figure out how to press worth a shit... I failed on that yesterday at 120, which is pathetic.

Press comes along slowly. Have patience and microload.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Trask View Post
    If I could just figure out how to press worth a shit... I failed on that yesterday at 120, which is pathetic.
    Take a vid of your press. I took it for granted that elbows in front of the bar is easy, but for a lot of people it's not particularly easy, or they think their elbows are in front but they're not. It's also really easy to forget to get your head under the bar ASAP.

Having taken on training two people that are almost complete opposites of me (both in opposite directions, as well), I've come to realize that my initial views that press form is "easy" aren't necessarily true, and there are a lot of minor adjustments you can make that have a pretty hefty impact. Having someone to yell "get your head under the bar" as you're starting to stall can make the difference between bumping the weight up or not.

But as TomC says, press comes along slowly. Frustratingly slowly sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Take a vid of your press. I took it for granted that elbows in front of the bar is easy, but for a lot of people it's not particularly easy, or they think their elbows are in front but they're not. It's also really easy to forget to get your head under the bar ASAP.
    I will definitely have to do that on Thursday, and am now looking for microplates. In positive news though, today I hit 255 lb on my squats with no prob. The exciting part about that was this was previously my 1 RM. To be able to do a 5x3 of that was just awesome! I also blew past my old 1 RM DL (255 lb) with a 5x1 at 265 lb (and had plenty more in the tank). This program is amazing...

Hey Sam, I just hit 255 today on squat myself (barely). Sounds like we are pretty close to the same weights on most lifts. You have a log?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalapen0 View Post
    Hey Sam, I just hit 255 today on squat myself (barely). Sounds like we are pretty close to the same weights on most lifts. You have a log?
    I don't have it posted here, but I need to... I'll work on getting that up today. I'm assuming you have one, so I'm going to check that out right now.