starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ugly: How bad was my PR?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    I'm surprised no one commented on my back rounding. Or is it not? I mean, I didn't feel any pain. Just a little pump but it was gone by the way I finished my workout. Any thoughts on that?
    I mentioned it. Your back was blatantly rounding. I can appreciate your eagerness to lift the 3 wheels, but in my eyes it looked sloppy & dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I mentioned it. Your back was blatantly rounding. I can appreciate your eagerness to lift the 3 wheels, but in my eyes it looked sloppy & dangerous.
    Well like it's been said, PR's don't look good. To be honest I cannot tell if my back is rounding or not. I could use some more opinions.

I'm going to mantain that 315 for the rest of this month, get a good form, lots of volume (going to try to get it up to 3x5), and move on from there.

Oh and I'm ordering a belt... finally... it was supposed to be my reward for reaching the goal. Hence the "pass of fail" question.

I know you cannot expect maxes to look great. But you have to maintain a decent standard to hit the right muscles instead of falling into bad habits and bad techniques which will prevent you from getting strong at doing it the right way aswell as making injury likely. Theres a new thread in Rips Q&A with a guy roundback deadlifting, rips reply and the resulting difference when using better technique are very telling.

The amount you were dropping your back on some reps was scary, you also had what looked like a very poor lumbar extension at the bottom of most and a rounding back as you got up .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Watchoo talkin bout, Dastardly!

Looked like a PR to me. Way to grind it out. But:

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    I'm going to mantain that 315 for the rest of this month, get a good form, lots of volume (going to try to get it up to 3x5), and move on from there.
    So you're going to keep squatting the same weight for a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I know you cannot expect maxes to look great. But you have to maintain a decent standard to hit the right muscles instead of falling into bad habits and bad techniques which will prevent you from getting strong at doing it the right way aswell as making injury likely. Theres a new thread in Rips Q&A with a guy roundback deadlifting, rips reply and the resulting difference when using better technique are very telling.

The amount you were dropping your back on some reps was scary, you also had what looked like a very poor lumbar extension at the bottom of most and a rounding back as you got up .
    Yeah, I see. I good morning'ed the shit out of the weights and me knees went too far back in the ascent... I need to keep my chest up more, I suppose.
    That's not how I normally squat though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Watchoo talkin bout, Dastardly!

Looked like a PR to me. Way to grind it out. But:

So you're going to keep squatting the same weight for a month?
    No, it's only 2 weeks. That'll be enough time for my belt to come, I think. Just taking a break from linear progression on squats.
    I'll probably deadlift more often and get it to 4 plates. I've been DL'ing only once every two weeks lately because it got in the way of squatting. Gotta get my bench up to 2 plates, and my press is failing... you get it.
    In the mean time I'm going to try to get 3 sets of 315.

First off, great work on the PR...but...I think you might be selling yourself short man....

If you can step up your eating, I think you have so much LP left in you. I would say, get the belt, bring the squat back to 255 and just eat more and do the program...as written.

Just two solid months of progress will get you to 3|5x375.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    First off, great work on the PR...but...I think you might be selling yourself short man....

If you can step up your eating, I think you have so much LP left in you. I would say, get the belt, bring the squat back to 255 and just eat more and do the program...as written.

Just two solid months of progress will get you to 3|5x375.
    Thanks!

I cannot possibly eat more than I currently am without turning into a real tub of lard. I went from 157 to 185 since June 23. That's about 30 lbs in less than 2 months.

Question, why go back down to 255?

I know ramping sets wasn't part of the program, but it worked really well for me. It might have been you that said that it was a mistake, but I don't think it was. I got where I wanted to be just in time.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 09-13-2010 at 09:04 PM.

I suggested going back to 255 to build up some momentum and nail down the form...if you need some advice on eating big and not getting lardy, talk to JP. First things first, look at the Greyskull elite page, and read up on JP's rest day tips.

You can set up a layered diet, so that if you find you are putting on too much fat, you can take stuff away without hurting your recovery.

Tell me about what you are eating...how often, etc...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Tell me about what you are eating...how often, etc...
    Everyday I eat:

1 cup of oats (measure raw)
    1 cup of white rice (same)
    1 cup cottage cheese
    6 eggs
    .6 lbs chicken breast
    .7 lbs ground beef
    Lots of olive oil
    Lots of butter
    Lots of tomato paste
    Cheese

I don't count calories, but I think it's around 4,500 and ~300 grams of protein. Honestly I really don't care that I'm a bit chubbier than before. I'm just making a point that I'm eating enough because everytime I weight myself I am heavier.

And I get what you mean by the momentum. I'll see what I'll do later...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast