starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean form check (160 lb)...

Default Power clean form check (160 lb)...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting heavy enough on these now that I really want to make sure I'm doing these right. The video below was my last set (#5) of 160 lb, as I was hoping it'd probably show more weaknesses in my form than if I was fresh during earlier sets. I did notice that I was coming back on my heels MUCH more than I usually do, which I'm not sure why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHd2VMR3ak

Looks good to me.

I would consider taking a narrower stance so that knees werent pushed inwards by your arms like that.

Just wanting to see what you guys think as well, but i thought he was taking a bit too long between each rep to call that a set of 3 but rather 3 singles. When i first posted up my terrible (and still are) powercleans it was pointed out that i was taking too long between each rep to be considered a set as well.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Just wanting to see what you guys think as well, but i thought he was taking a bit too long between each rep to call that a set of 3 but rather 3 singles. When i first posted up my terrible (and still are) powercleans it was pointed out that i was taking too long between each rep to be considered a set as well.
    I dont think so personally, explosive movements work best as singles anyway. For them to be properly explosive and no truined by fatigue of the prior rep, a little time is often necessary. Doing them fast turns them into a sort of crossfit conditioning exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    I agree here, it's borderline. I also think I'd like to see you set your lower back better.

Thanks for the comments guys. I too was wondering about the speed issue... I didn't feel like I was taking so long when I was doing it, but watching the video really made it seem like forever. I'm very paranoid about foot placement, so hopefully as I continue to get more experience I will speed that up. But either way, I'm going to concentrate on shortening the interval between reps while maintaining good form.

Greg C - Thanks, I will examine that. What in particular should I be concentrating on as far as setting my lower back better?

Lay on the floor and play superman (it's in SS). Learn that sensation. That's the same thing you want when you set your back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I dont think so personally, explosive movements work best as singles anyway. For them to be properly explosive and no truined by fatigue of the prior rep, a little time is often necessary. Doing them fast turns them into a sort of crossfit conditioning exercise.
    That all depends, new trainees have a habit of 'rowing' the bar more with more weight on the bar since they dont feel it come up as easily