starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would like some advice on my "low bar squats," taken from my volume day of TM.

297.5# @ 189 lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f5rClt9Fgg

Most importantly, I'm trying to see if the bar is in the right place, and any advice on my hip drive and reducing the back rounding in lots of my reps.

I recently transitioned to low bar from high bar squats, and to be honest I don't know if I have it right, because the bar position is killing my back. I've attached a few pictures of my back after squatting, so you can see the imprint of where the bar is on my back.

Also, I know there are a lot of sets, so feel free to only view the ones that are most helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my humble opinion it just seems that the weights are too damn heavy for your hamstrings to perform their function of maintaining the torso angle in the ascent from the hole. The fact that you are coming from high bar points in that direction too.

Think the weight looks a little heavy for your volume day. Have you been managing to progress/recover while going this heavy?
    If so, I say just carry on. Your grip looks fairly secure, your back is dropping a little but it isn't rounding which is the important thing.

Also may I comment, that I am jealous of your sweet collection of bikes and garage gym.

Did anyone else notice his hips floating back on the ascent? It looks like the bar path is affected as well and it seems to create a noticeable hitch on the way up. May also be related to hamstring tightness as Carlos suggested.

Out of curiosity, how are your dead lifts in relation to your squat?

Have you been managing to progress/recover while going this heavy?
    It's hard to say at this point, since I've only been on TM for like 4 weeks - in a few more weeks I'll have a better picture, but I'm pretty convinced I started my volume squats a little too high. My last intensity workout was 315x5. It certainly wasn't easy =/.

Also may I comment, that I am jealous of your sweet collection of bikes and garage gym.
    Thank you sir, the bikes are actually my brother's, he sunk a few grand into his mountain/road bikes.

Out of curiosity, how are your dead lifts in relation to your squat?
    I've deadlifted 400 for 5 and 405 for 3. Which I guess serves as further evidence for my hamstring issue. Would you guys recommend a reset? If so, should I reset my intensity days too?
    Last edited by skills101; 09-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Nice work grinding through all 5 sets. But I agree it's too heavy for a volume day workout. The work sets should be tough but not so close to failure. IMO these form problems (hips shooting back a lot, loss of back angle, lifting the chest) should not appear on work sets.

I'd suggest reducing volume-intensity weights to 275-305 or so, and work up from there. You'll still be getting stronger working with the volume day in that range, since you're new to low bar squats and you'll be able to do them with correct form at that weight. Setting the volume day at 90% of intensity day seems to work pretty well as a starting point.

Or, I wonder if you should consider a week or two of linear progression, starting with a sizeable reset and 10 lb. increments, to give yourself a chance to get used to low bar squats. Then back to TM and set the poundages depending on where you are then. Just a thought.

Your volume days are also quite heavy in relation to your intensity days. 297.5 pounds is almost 95% of your 5 RM. You probably want a little more space than that if you are going for 5x5.

Agreed. You start out very good, but then your hips are shooting too far back during the ascent for the last few reps/sets. Use the volume day to work on form. I think 275 would be a good weight for you to work with.

Looks like maybe too uncontrolled a descent. Stay tighter on the way down and maybe cut these off just slightly higher.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks gents, the reason why I started to high was because I've been led to believe you're supposed to go as heavy as you can, while still being able to complete your 5x5. I'll reset to 275-305 as per Mike's suggestion.