starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tucking elbows on the bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't "flare" my elbows, but rather approximately 75* as Rip recommends. I generally keep my shoulder blades back hard. I'm no pro at the bench (obviously) so I'm sure I did something wrong - it just seems to me that Tate's style artificially inflated my bench numbers - great for competition, not so great for novice trainee with a weak bench.

Quote Originally Posted by allyn703 View Post
    Also I think the point is to lift the most weight possible, that is why we low bar squat. If a long ROM was the most important thing to consider, wouldn't we all be doing decline bench?
    ...Then wouldn't we all 1/8th squat more weight? Low bar gives me maximum ROM of my hip joint and below parallel gives me maximum knee joint ROM. None of this leds itself to max weight. (incidentally, aren't decline benches even shorter rom because you are effectively creating a super-arch chest height?)

Gotcha, Like I said I'm still new to all this, and still learning as you can tell LOL. I wasn't trying to take shots at anyone, just trying to clarify. I've had a difficult time benching with my elbows out for a while now.

Yeah, Your right about the decline....Im an idiot

For the love of god don't take what I'm saying as any kind of benching lesson. I suck at bench - currently nowhere near bodyweight for a 1rm (probably would be if I didn't blow out my shoulder...). I'm just speaking from experience as a crappy bencher.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I suck at bench -.... I'm just speaking from experience as a crappy bencher.
    Same here. LOL

I don't agree. ROM is more important, in my opinion than weight moved. Otherwise we'd all be doing arch-backed 4-board bench. Also, a balance of muscles used is important or else you end up with a weak link as I did and blow something out.

Edit: I'm talking about training for novices, not competing.
    Would you also claim that an ass-to-grass olympic squat is better than the squat that Rippetoe teaches?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Would you also claim that an ass-to-grass olympic squat is better than the squat that Rippetoe teaches?
    "What's better" is a rather annoying and dumb question. Lots of people have become very strong on exclusively atg oly squats, they each have their ups and downs (har har) and my opinions on the bench are, as I've stated, my opinions based on my experiences. I'm sure that for SOME PEOPLE in some situations the atg oly squat is superior.

I was just asking if in your opinion, the concept of ROM being more important than weight moved applied to the squat as well as the bench press.

Surely the various "full rom" squats are better than the curtsies and knee-bobs of GloboGym Bros. Which flavour of squat would depend on your needs and programming. There's more to it than ROM, musculature involved is important, too.

If you tuck the elbows, they are no longer underneath the bar. I like as much skeleton underneath the bar as I can get.

starting strength coach development program
    Surely the various "full rom" squats are better than the curtsies and knee-bobs of GloboGym Bros. Which flavour of squat would depend on your needs and programming. There's more to it than ROM, musculature involved is important, too.
    Can we all agree to stop saying Bro like its a bad thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123