starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I suck at deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dont crane your neck up like that, try and get a more neutral spine position all the way up your back and neck. And that was NOT a max effort deadlift, not even close.

Thanks for the replies, that Deadlift WAS maximum effort, infact straight after it, I felt dizzy and had to walk it off, it was soon after my Squat attempt though.

I've realised that I don't keep the bar against my shin very well, some people on other boards have said that I look like I'm Quad dominant and should keep working the posterior chain and my form will sort itself out.

For the eccentric, I usually don't bother when it's a one repper, I find it difficult to let the weight down without rounding my back.

I'll work on head position I agree that it doesn't look ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Would you guys recommend heavy rack pulls for improving deadlifts?
    Depends where your sticking point is. If it's at the top than yes hit rack pulls. If you can't get it going than rack pulls wont do shit for you and you need to do deficit deads instead.

Quote Originally Posted by summers View Post
    For the eccentric, I usually don't bother when it's a one repper, I find it difficult to let the weight down without rounding my back.
    1. It will continue to get exponentially more difficult if you don't work on it.
    2. Make it easier on yourself and lower it faster than you lift it. Rip has mentioned before that deads can be lowered at just short of a drop; you want to maintain control of it, but don't do a whole lot to slow it down.

Really, though, the only-going-up thing is not a deadlift, so try one of the above, or both.

Should the bar be touching the shins as you go up? I am really afraid of hurting my shins which probably is hurting my deads? My Squats and deads are almost the same (earlier the Squats used to be more).

Well imho, yes the bar should be skinning your shins as it's raised and lowered. There is something called the area of balance which is the box that your feet create and when the bar travels outside the box it becomes more difficult to lift the bar.

Also, if you're struggling with your deads look at strengthening your posterior chain. Hit those GM, SLDL, RDL, Glute Ham Raises, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by summers View Post
    some people on other boards have said that I look like I'm Quad dominant and should keep working the posterior chain and my form will sort itself out.

1) No, your form will never sort itself out. You need to sort it out. Do you have SS:BBT? Read the setup portion careful, try again and film it so we can see everything from lining up your feet to putting the bar back on the floor...
    2) Put the bar back on the floor. Just keep your back arch, bend at the hips till it gets below your knees, then bend the knees - this happens pretty quickly and results in a clatter. It isn't that hard, but you need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Also, if you're struggling with your deads look at strengthening your posterior chain. Hit those GM, SLDL, RDL, Glute Ham Raises, etc.
    Generally, I agree, but with his level of strength (or lack thereof), I think he really ought to do this by doing deadlifts.

At 280lb deadlift, I'd agree that fixing form comes first.

starting strength coach development program
    To fix his form we need to actually see what he's doing. We need an angled shot which starts shooting before he pulls it so we can see how he gets into position and also doesn't stop till after he's set the bar back down. It also needs to be a full body shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast