starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamstring "Bounce" ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I move that the word science be asterisked out to reduce the amount of offense taken on this board. The problem with facts is that they can prove anything, right or wrong.

Yeah, except I'd hate for this to turn into one of those "mommy" boards where they talk about feelings and unicorns rather than science, so they think vaccines will kill them and births at home are safer than those at hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Yeah, except I'd hate for this to turn into one of those "mommy" boards where they talk about feelings and unicorns rather than science, so they think vaccines will kill them and births at home are safer than those at hospitals.
    Agreed. In the absence of facts, at least we have logic and common sense (current gaggle of trolls excluded, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I move that the word science be asterisked out to reduce the amount of offense taken on this board. The problem with facts is that they can prove anything, right or wrong.
    This is troof. I crunch data for a living--doing it myself and managing others who do it. I've always said that if you flog data hard enough, it will confess to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    This is troof. I crunch data for a living--doing it myself and managing others who do it. I've always said that if you flog data hard enough, it will confess to anything.
    This is precisely my experience. You usually get lies or damned lies rather than statistics.

if you're doing it right it should be very apparent in a heavy single because your ascent will be markedly slower about halfway up than during the bounce.

last time i did singles here. you can tell i'm "bouncing" on the third and heaviest lift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWPmxDEczA

That's some fine squatting right there.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdyson View Post
    if you're doing it right it should be very apparent in a heavy single because your ascent will be markedly slower about halfway up than during the bounce.

last time i did singles here. you can tell i'm "bouncing" on the third and heaviest lift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWPmxDEczA

First off, nice job broseph.

Secondly, I think I see what your talking about. The deeper in the bucket, the more one should bounce out of the hole like in Oly squats, right ? So lets say if I wasnt going deep enough bellow parallel then the bounce would not be achieved or be minimal ?

starting strength coach development program
    the best bounce occurs when you reach the greatest depth possible given the depth "limiters" i guess. if you limit forward knee travel to just in front of toes, don't let your knees slide, and never let your lower back come out of extension, there's only so much depth you can get before the hamstrings just "win the war" over the pelvis (this is discussed in SS). they are stretched fully in a good squat, and the bounce is simply the stretch reflex from the fully stretched muscle imo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12