starting strength gym

Thread: This just popped up on my youtube recommendations re power clean help

Default This just popped up on my youtube recommendations re power clean help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Actual training of technique starts around 2:08. I know it's a lot of the same techniques Rip teaches, but there are some things I'm going to try next time. Especially the "scarecrow" to getting under the bar. Anything you see that flies in the face of SS's technique? I'm able to power clean 135+ for reps but technique isn't always pretty. Since I've been taking time off due to an injury (intercostal tear?) I figured I'd start light on powerclean since my other weights are dropping a little as well.

One more example of a "coach" telling someone to jump or extend with the bar far too low on their thigh... youtube is your friend, people.

I hadn't noticed that the first time around. It does look like he's jumping with it right above his kneecap. I think that'd probably change when he was pulling some weight and he fell on his face a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 48Dodge View Post
    I hadn't noticed that the first time around. It does look like he's jumping with it right above his kneecap. I think that'd probably change when he was pulling some weight and he fell on his face a time or two.
    Of course its possible that this guy will overcome the bad instruction. It's possible. But it is a disturbing trend that more and more people who supposedly know what they are doing are popping up on the net with videos showing a jump from the mid thigh type of thing on the snatch, or a jump from the lower thigh on the clean. This is probably the single biggest problem most good coaches have to overcome when they first start with either a formerly self coached lifter or a lifter coming from an inexperienced coach.

Folks really should make sure they know how to do something properly before they attempt to "instruct" others.