starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finally hit a bodyweight squat, 87.5kg x 5. I got someone to film the second set. I think it looks pretty good, the video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxL_RPitBHE Any suggestions?

Deadlift, I hit 115kg for 5 reps, however I wasn't happy with my form. Back wasn't too bad on first 3 reps but on last two it was rounding too much. I should have probably stopped it after the fourth rep. Video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMhD4tuf0ek

I'm a bit ashamed of this deadlift form to be honest. I know I can do better and usually do do better. I wasn't concentrating on keeping my chest up and arching my back as I should have been. I hurt my lower back a little bit from them, but it's nothing too bad, it'll be fine in a couple of days. Next time I'll stop my deadlifts when I can feel my back rounding and I am considering dropping increases to 2.5kg per session.

You might wanna arch your back more...

On the deadlift, you're not setting up as per SS. Your butt is too low and your shoulders are directly over the bar. The bar needs to be under the scapulas, so your shoulders should be a little bit in front of the bar.

You're also overextending at the top of the pull. Just stand up straight.

You probably need to re-read the deadlift chapter of SS...

Agree w/ the above. The bar needs to be over your mid foot on the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Agree w/ the above. The bar needs to be over your mid foot on the deadlift.
    Isn't it over the middle of my foot... my shins touch the bar?

Anyway thanks for the deadlift advice, I remember that putting my shoulders in front of the bar was one of the most important things I learnt which really fixed my deadlift, but I had forgotten about it!

But any comments on the squat? I was told that I'm breaking at the knees first instead of the hips and that I should concentrate on shoving my knees out and that I should try and push through the heels for more hip drive because my movement looks very toe/front-foot/quad dominant. Agree?

Congrats on a bodyweight squat!

They look good, except your knees come too far forward (it gets better, but not good, later in the set for some reason). "Sit back" a little more, it will help with pushing through your heels, make depth more difficult--and make it feel a good deal heavier.

If your knees go past the front of your toes, they've gone too far.

Thanks dude. I've had issues in the past with losing balance and falling back and needing to put plates under my heels but I'll try the sitting back thing more.

Also do you see anything wrong with my elbow position? I've been having some elbow pain and Dastardly said not to listen to Rip's elbows up que...

I think JStrong is right about the need to sit back more. You seem to be trying to keep your torso upright as you descend. The break at the knees and hips should be simultaneous; think about sticking your butt out and arching your back when you start to descend.

I'm not so sure about the advice to stop your knees from travelling past your toes. That's probably gonna come down to individual anthropometry, and you seem to have longer tibias than femurs. Keep the bar over the middle of your foot and the rest of your body should be in the right position.

Your elbows look ok; you're probably getting pain because you are pushing down too hard with your hands when you are grinding up from the bottom of a heavy squat. It's a problem I have too; it sucks.

I think JStrong is right about the need to sit back more.
    Thank you.

I'm not so sure about the advice to stop your knees from travelling past your toes.
    I completely disagree, but with any luck the big kids will be here soon to confirm it one way or the pther. He's not a genetic freak, he's going lower than necessary by letting his knees come forward.

starting strength coach development program
    See figure 2.9 in SS: knees should be just slightly in front of toes.

Rip also writes on the next page that knees should go to a point just in front of your toes, and this position will vary with anthropometry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast