starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Belt on OH press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd say you have a pretty fucking weak spine then, what are you made of, balsa wood?

Wear a belt when pressing for the same reason you wear a belt in the other lifts. To have a rigid surface to flex you abs against, thus being able to create more abdominal pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixen View Post
    Wear a belt when pressing for the same reason you wear a belt in the other lifts. To have a rigid surface to flex you abs against, thus being able to create more abdominal pressure.
    ^^^

No shit... and why do you create that abdominal pressure? To support he spine's rigidity. ie - exactly what I just said.

Yeah, but I sure don't see it as a "safety precaution." If I didn't wear a belt I don't think I'd be in danger of hurting my back, I just might not make the lift because I couldn't get under the bar as well.

Gotcha. My abs in combination with my arch-happy back are my biggest training weakness... i wouldn't say it is for safety either like I'm going to blow something out, but I'm sure consatntly pushing maxes with a hinged spine is no good for long-term spinal health.

FWIW, the stomach can protrude outwards towards a belt to increase pressure, but the abs themselves can not flex outwards.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    FWIW, the stomach can protrude outwards towards a belt to increase pressure, but the abs themselves can not flex outwards.
    Of course, sorry for the confusion. I meant flex your beer gut against the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    But the abdomen is pushed outward when the diaphragm contracts during breathing, no?

Abs don't need to flex outward, because they are already constricted by the belt, when they flex they're just returning (or trying to) to their normal position in a contracted state.

Try this: push your hand in on your unflexed abdomen. Now flex. Did your abs move your hand back to where they had been before you pushed on them? This is the same action they take against a belt.

starting strength coach development program
    This is a fair point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast