starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Press/PC/Deadlift Form Check Plz

Default Squat/Press/PC/Deadlift Form Check Plz

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,
    I just finished my 5th week of SS, was hoping to get some help on my form.

Squat Set#1 -175lbs

Squat Set#2- 175lbs - Squats have been going good. My form feels decent but I think i need to sit back a little more. Not sure though.

Press Set#2 - 95lbs
    - Press is the hardest lift for me so far, my wrists look a little kinked back, should i try to keep them straighter under the bar?

Power Clean Set #1- 95lbs
    - Just started this lift 2 weeks ago, I've been waiting to add weight (i've done 95lbs the last 3 workouts) until I get the form down.

Deadlift Set #2 - 175lbs - This was over a week ago, up to 195lbs now. This is my easiest lift so far.

Any comments/critiques would be great!

Thanks

I recommend buying and reading Starting Strength.

For your squats, you are starting with your knees bent. They should be fully extended at the top of every rep. At the bottom of your squats, your knees slide forward noticeably on almost every rep. That's a no-no. It's a common problem, however, and widely discussed around here.

Lock out your press at the top and shrug. Watch how hat does it:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...669#post173669

Hi Monney,

Quote Originally Posted by mooney View Post
    Power Clean Set #1- 95lbs - Just started this lift 2 weeks ago, I've been waiting to add weight (i've done 95lbs the last 3 workouts) until I get the form down.
    This is one of the worst view for the Power Clean. Still, it's useful because it shows clearly that you are not cleaning the bar, but simply muscling it up. In other words, you are rowing the bar up, adding a little jump as you bend your arms.

Also, you are quite frantic in your action, and you take no time to set yourself up properly before each lift. Your knees are slightly caved in, and the bar is not level when you rack it.

Slow down. Practice a lot of hang cleans, it will help you getting the jump right.
    Focus on the jump, try to push your head through the ceiling. Just think about the jump, nothing else, and this will fix teh upper part of your lift.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I've got the book actually, haven't read it cover to cover yet but another few weeks of morning deuces and i'll finish it.

Thanks for the tips, I reset my squat today to 155 and I think they were better. Concentrating on shoving my knees out, keeping my chest up and fully extending at the top. I'm going to practice this week and post another form vid next weekend.

On the press i think i started out shrugging at the top but somehow lost it. Thanks for the reminder MikeC1.

Quote Originally Posted by mooney View Post
    I've got the book actually, haven't read it cover to cover yet but another few weeks of morning deuces and i'll finish it.
    I suggest reading it more carefully, then.

Your press grip is all wrong -- your hands are too wide, which makes your forearms look like this at the bottom: \ / when they should look like this: | |. You also need to keep your wrists straight under the bar the entire time instead of having them extended as they are now. You should do a quick touch and go at the bottom of the rep and make sure the bar is hitting your shoulders on the same place every time.

Your deadlift setup is wrong, with your hips too low and your shoulders behind the bar. The bar doesn't look like it's against your shins at the start of each rep. You're also trying to jerk the bar off the floor rather than setting up tightly and squeezing it off the floor as the book instructs.

Have you considered doing a GOMAD diet combined with a linear progression? That might allow you to succeed!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Faget View Post
    Have you considered doing a GOMAD diet combined with a linear progression? That might allow you to succeed!
    I'm doing about a half GOMAD right now, I've gained about 7 lbs since i started the program. Once my linear progression slows down I will step up to a full GOMAD.

I should probably start a full GOMAD now come to think of it. I failed my first bench yesterday at 140lbs.