starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 5/3/1 Check, no belt

Default Deadlift 5/3/1 Check, no belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Missed filming the last 2 reps of #282.5 (ran out of memory card). Should I have switched to mixed grip after 5 reps and kept going? Probably.

What's the word on form?

Also, am I making it harder on myself by using my 31mm bar instead of the 28mm, or is that essentially no difference?

Thanks.

Your back extension looks much better, but you are losing back angle for the first half of the movement. This loss of back angle will turn into rounding when you push the weights back up.

I think the fix for this is pretty simple: keep everything like you had it in the video, but start your setup with your shins about 0.5-1" closer to the bar when you're standing straight up. This will start you at a more horizontal back angle and give you room to get the bar around your knees.

Your hips are too low shoulder blades over the bar not above the bar, more quad drive, don't squat it pull it.

A 31mm bar is a huge difference to a 28mm bar. But mostly for grip reasons. You can pull more if you can grip it better, even if you don't think grip is an issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Your hips are too low shoulder blades over the bar not above the bar, more quad drive, don't squat it pull it.
    start your setup with your shins about 0.5-1" closer to the bar when you're standing straight up. This will start you at a more horizontal back angle
    Yes, this! Trying to flatten the back has had me all kinds of overthinking it, and they've felt "weak." 345 x 5 was easy, 280 x 5 felt hard. Next time I rip that bastard off the ground, thanks.

A 31mm bar is a huge difference to a 28mm bar. But mostly for grip reasons. You can pull more if you can grip it better, even if you don't think grip is an issue right now.
    I think I'll keep using the fatter bar to improve grip. Also, that 28mm might not be able to handle heavier pulls, it's a cheapo.