starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Critique

Default Squat Critique

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was pretty disgusted to find that I was too high last time I took vids so I swore to post vids of today's workout no matter how ugly it was. I reviewed the vids of my warmup sets to make sure I was getting low enough before getting to my worksets, but I'm still high on more than a few some reps.

I'm having trouble with bar position on my squats. Once I got up to 155 pounds the back of my neck started hurting during the squats. It's a burning feeling that subsides after the sets but the muscles between my shoulder blades and up my neck have remained stiff after my last three workouts. I have the book, but are there any other resources to help me out with the proper low-bar position? On my last work set today the bar felt better, but everything was already hurting from my other sets. I think I've been placing the bar a little high--somewhere between low and high bar position. I don't know if you'll be able to see on the vids but I put it a little lower on the last set.

Here are the worksets--1, 2, & 3

I'm obviously high on some reps, but I'm thinking that even on the ones that are technically deep enough I need to get a little deeper for a better hip angle. My knees are obviously going forward and I also need to pick up my big toes to make sure I don't go forward too much while coming out of the whole. I almost fall over on one of the reps.

I watched the warmup and all 3 sets. Maybe 2 of the 15 work reps were to depth.

This angle sucks, behind at a 30 degree angle would be better. But you should:

Shove your knees out
    sit back more
    you're staying too vertical (EDIT)

That said, keep up the good work, looks like about bodyweight and that's when it gets rough the 1st time through.

Try filming all 3 in different spots, if I may be so bold, like this, though maybe from hip height for the behind angles.
    Last edited by JStrong; 10-17-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Thank for the criticism. I'll work on it at tomorrow's workout and post vids to the forum.