starting strength gym

Thread: newbie squat critique please

Default newbie squat critique please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6'4
    243 lbs. (down from 323 lbs. as of 1/1/2009)
    31 years old

I'm currently on a high protein diet, on which I'm consuming between 3200 and 4000 calories per day and at least 300 grams of protein per day. My recovery days are at 4000, lifting days approximately 3500.

Since I've started the SS program, I've put on 12 pounds and have changed my body composition noticeably. The main goal is to get strong (I'm an athletic person who was never strong and never lifted seriously until this March) and, as a result, get rid of the extra flab (major spare tire) and build serious muscle.

I am obsessed with squats right now. I got up to 230 but failed twice. I de-loaded to 205, watched endless hours of squat critique videos, read the chapter again and tried to tweak my form. My major concern are knees out and chest up. I feel like at the higher weights, my chest caves in and my lower back rounds, resulting in sort of a good morning on my last couple work set reps.

The two side angles are my most recent workout at 215. The front angle is two workouts ago at 205.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/e...video/21832961

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/e...video/21833051

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/f...video/21833621

Kevin

Well those look pretty good. How big are your jumps? How long have you been on the program? 25 lbs seems like a lot to deload.

I've been making 5 pound jumps every workout (3x per week with a couple workouts missed) since the 1st week in September. I was progressing really well until I hit 230. I felt like I was completely out of whack - off balance, bad back positioning, weight on the balls of my feet, etc. I took it down to 205 to try to get the form correct and understand what it feels like to get correct hip drive and balance (I watched A LOT of video and read Rip's responses, which really helped). i bumped up to 215 from 205, and I felt pretty strong at 215.

What do you recommend as a de-load? Is there a certain percentage?

Something that you can get with good form that feels "solid". It'll vary from person to person. Something that you may find helpful about balance and back position, when you come up out of bottom and you feel the bar speed drop down, think about "leaning back" into the bar. You'll go up slower, but doing this will make your legs do their job of driving up the bar instead of your back.